PDA

View Full Version : Sweeps & scheduling

revituser195
2009-07-30, 04:13 PM
Is it possible to count the corners or terminations of a wall sweep? We really need to be able to count the end pieces of a particular product, not just overall length to make the schedule useful. If so, how do you do this?

Thanks,
Rob

cliff collins
2009-07-30, 04:42 PM
You could model them as individual families, at the precise corner locations
and schedule them.

cheers.......

revituser195
2009-07-30, 08:39 PM
When sweeps are changed / added / deleted often, it would be easier to do a manual count. We're looking for something a little more automated. Thanks though.

jsteinhauer
2009-07-30, 08:57 PM
When sweeps are changed / added / deleted often, it would be easier to do a manual count. We're looking for something a little more automated. Thanks though.

I agree with Cliff, model them and then have the schedule count the instances of the family/ies for you. I don't have a good screen capture of it right now. But, under the schedule's properties, the 'Sorting/Grouping' check the box for grand totals. Also, on the 'Formating' tab check the Calculate Totals box.

You can do the typical filtering & sorting of the schedules to clarify what you're looking at.

This should help you out.

Jeff S.

revituser195
2009-07-30, 10:10 PM
Ok, thanks. So Cliff / Jeff, please give me a little more info. Are you suggesting an in-place family for each individual corner/termination? On a large commercial project, that could be 100 individually created pieces. Then if the profile changes, that's 100 updates. That just isn't effective for comparing designs & costs. Am I missing something? Thanks for your time.

Rob

cliff collins
2009-07-31, 08:20 PM
Tough question; without specific examples it hard to say.
But, if you really need that level of specific info, then yes, model them--then create a model group which can be edited when changes are required, and will help manage all the individual pieces in a single group.

However, we rarely see a situation where we would actually require that level of
detail/modeling. Perhaps a set of shop drawings will be produced to do actual
quantities and geometry of the various shapes, etc.?

The masons live eat and breathe this level of detail--I've sometimes brought in a masonry
rep early in the design to do some pro-bono counts and suggest specific shapes/joints/flashings etc for similar projects. I would be a bit leary of taking it that far in the Revit model, esp. if there will be a real-world set of shops and a chance that the built product may be different anyway.

cheers............

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-31, 08:43 PM
Line Based Generic Model, with a Profile Family loaded in.

It has three sweeps in it. One for the straight run, and one for each end termination. Eacn end termination has a visibility parameter (Shared instance), There is also a Shared Instance parameter LENGTH = Length.

As its line based, it will work on the faces of all walls (another benefit is now it can run up the walls at angles, too, unlike wall sweeps).

It schedules Length, plus number of terminations, in the form of Yes's and No's in the schedule. If you really want to get technical, you can make a "Termination Count" integer parameter that is formula driver from the Yes/No's for the terminations, and you can total them in the schedule.

It takes ten minutes to make the family, and then youll find its WAY easier to use than the wall sweeps with edited returns.

cliff collins
2009-07-31, 09:24 PM
Now THAT's an answer!!!!!!

Got an example?

cheers.........

twiceroadsfool
2009-08-01, 08:54 PM
Now THAT's an answer!!!!!!

Got an example?

cheers.........

LOL, no, but i guess i could make one?