PDA

View Full Version : Design Options

harrisbrett
2009-07-31, 02:35 AM
I have a model which is a documentation of an existing house. What i want to do now is have different design options for additions, new construction, etc. The problem I see happening is that what if i create a 2 options where i've removed walls, moved windows, etc. andi want to start over and want to go back to square one which is the as-built house. Since I have moved things around in the options now, the main model is now set to whatever that primary design option was set to. Do I create another design option where basically its just existing conditions which gets untouched?

wmullett
2009-07-31, 12:13 PM
That's right. One option vcan be your base...in this case the as built. Then other options are different changes you make.

SCShell
2009-08-01, 11:06 AM
Hey there,

I is also a good practice to save your original "as-built" model as a separate project so that you have access to it until such time as it changes in the real world.

Good Luck
Steve

harrisbrett
2009-08-01, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Some of the users at my firm have asked is it a good idea to add the entire model to each design option? And then edit from there?

Scott Womack
2009-08-02, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Some of the users at my firm have asked is it a good idea to add the entire model to each design option? And then edit from there?

For a relatively simple model. fine. The only issue is that when you get the design you want, you'll only be able to make one base option into the actual model. IF that does not bother you, fine.

A slightly better methodology is to make another Design Option Set for each "design portion of the building. To use a house analogy, A Set with several Design Options for the Living Room, Another Set for the Kitchen, etc. This way, you'll be able to merge the final living room design with the final Kitchen design back into the main model. Putting the Entire house into one design Option Set, will mean managing more changes to get every combination of Kitchen design possibility, with every Living Room possibility, meaning that the number of options begins to become exponential in number.

harrisbrett
2009-08-04, 06:32 PM
So for presenting options - I understand how to duplicate the sheets, set it to look at Option 'X'. Drag the views onto a sheet. All the options besides the primary option will show elements halftoned if they are not part of the option set. Graphically, its not ideal.

How do you deal with this?

EDIT: Answered my own question. I had Edit Option activated.