PDA

View Full Version : best way to poche voids?

tklein.208994
2009-07-31, 03:23 PM
here's the scenario: existing building w/ thick walls that require poche to fill in internal voids for presentation purposes. This is a multi-phase with multi-design options project. I've input the poche as filled regions in the existing plan, but as filled regions are only view specific, so I've had to copy/paste into each view.

Anyone have a better method so poche drawn in the exising plan shows up in other views automatically?

Paul Monsef
2009-07-31, 04:37 PM
Can you post an example of what you are trying to poche?

greg.mcdowell
2009-07-31, 04:40 PM
Sounds like phase filters and graphic overrides from the phasing dialog are what you need here.

jsteinhauer
2009-07-31, 05:22 PM
here's the scenario: existing building w/ thick walls that require poche to fill in internal voids for presentation purposes. This is a multi-phase with multi-design options project. I've input the poche as filled regions in the existing plan, but as filled regions are only view specific, so I've had to copy/paste into each view.

Anyone have a better method so poche drawn in the exising plan shows up in other views automatically?

Give this a try. Graphic override the walls in view by category. Change the wall's cut pattern to black, gray or whatever with solid fill. This will change the walls to one solid thick line with nice crisp corners. Then you could setup a view template and apply it to the views you need. Then if the walls change, move are added or deleted, the poche will automatically adjust per view.

Please let me know if you have success with this method.

Thanks,

Jeff S.

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-31, 05:32 PM
I believe his issue is for areas where there is no "wall" modeled in between the Revit walls, because it is a varying thickness thick wall condition. You have a few options:

1. Filled regions, as youve done. Furthering it, you could detail group them all and Copy | paste same place | Select views, to keep them updating.

2. In Place family, Extrusion, Wall Catagory. Give it a material that also has a solid cut to it, or (as mentioned) override the wall catagory to be cut Solid Black.

If you go this route, edit youre filled region, and copy the sketch lines to clip board. Then paste them in to the In place family extrusion sketch and youre good to go, just be mindful of the height of the extrusion and it will even play nice with your sections.

This is (of course) assuming theyre really solid walls. If it was JUST for the drawings and the walls were hollow, i personally would use the detial group.

jsteinhauer
2009-07-31, 05:42 PM
I believe his issue is for areas where there is no "wall" modeled in between the Revit walls, because it is a varying thickness thick wall condition. You have a few options:

1. Filled regions, as youve done. Furthering it, you could detail group them all and Copy | paste same place | Select views, to keep them updating.

2. In Place family, Extrusion, Wall Catagory. Give it a material that also has a solid cut to it, or (as mentioned) override the wall catagory to be cut Solid Black.

If you go this route, edit youre filled region, and copy the sketch lines to clip board. Then paste them in to the In place family extrusion sketch and youre good to go, just be mindful of the height of the extrusion and it will even play nice with your sections.

This is (of course) assuming theyre really solid walls. If it was JUST for the drawings and the walls were hollow, i personally would use the detial group.

Like the void for common plumbing walls between mens & womens restrooms? I gotcha!!! Yeah my solution wouldn't address this.

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-31, 06:21 PM
Exactly. Me PERSONALLY, i wouldnt poche it. But you have to pick your battles, and for designers and managers alike who are used to Old Hat, sometimes you have to bend.

Chase walls at Public Toilet cores can be poche'd if you build your Chase walls as a single wall type, but we dont, so they dont.... so we do. LOL.

jsteinhauer
2009-07-31, 08:31 PM
Exactly. Me PERSONALLY, i wouldnt poche it. But you have to pick your battles, and for designers and managers alike who are used to Old Hat, sometimes you have to bend.

Chase walls at Public Toilet cores can be poche'd if you build your Chase walls as a single wall type, but we dont, so they dont.... so we do. LOL.

I had to help someone do this yesterday. The drawing was for a presentation board, or PPT. But, when I had to do this in CADD, I never colored in chase spaces. We would identify them as part of building gross, and they're required for the multiple floor buildings we design. I think we may have had a client ask us, "What's that big black box for?", so that put the end to coloring in chases.

Have a good weekend all.

Jeff S.

tklein.208994
2009-08-03, 02:26 PM
here are a couple images of the building - it's a folded plate structure and for presentation purposes it looks better w/ all voids infiled w/ solid poche.

next time I may create a view I know I'll need in other phases or design options, create the filled regions right off the bat and then duplicate w/ detailing.

If I forget, again, then copy paste works easy enough, too.