PDA

View Full Version : Wall Sweep Issue

Jarod
2004-11-05, 09:39 PM
I have added a wall sweep and it intersects an arched window. The wall sweep doesn't get cut right, any ideas? The image shows an exaggerated example to get point across.

Thanks for any ideas...

adegnan
2004-11-05, 09:56 PM
What does the actual look like? The sweep should end where the cut in the wall is. If the window trim extends beyond the opening cut, the trim would extend too far it would seem.

Jarod
2004-11-05, 10:15 PM
Here is what the window looks, I did another except it as a reveal and it works.

Allen Lacy
2004-11-05, 10:16 PM
You can select the sweep and grab the handle at the end of the sweep and pull it back to the jamb of the window (and change returns if you want). Then add another sweep to the wall, pull it to the other jamb and align with the first.

adegnan
2004-11-05, 10:28 PM
Jarod, it is as I suspected. Your opening is at the window and your trim is out at the face of the brickwork. If this is adequate for viewing detail that is OK and you can use Alan's method of grabbing the sweep handles. (THis is a little tedious.)

However, if you want accurate modeling it is a little bit of work to move your trim back into the wall cavity. I did this with the Andersen FWO doors that I posted long ago but didn't get that far yet with other families. I'd suggest looking at the FWO doors if you want to learn how! Basically, you need to remove the opening cut and use two voids instead, one to cut the exterior brickwork to the size of the trim, the other for the window rough opening. Then you need to dimension to the core of the wall to make your trim be back in the wall.

Have fun!

Jarod
2004-11-05, 10:31 PM
Thanks Allen, is this normal for it to fail at this? On a bigger scope this is would be tedious having to do that for each window.

Jarod
2004-11-05, 10:40 PM
Thanks Abe, not having fun...:beer: TGIF...

tamas
2004-11-05, 11:22 PM
Jarod,

See my previous answer to your previous question in this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=9814).
It is essentially the same problem. Sorry, but we do not (yet) cut the shape of the window out of wall sweeps. The sweep ends are always vertical.

Tamas

Jarod
2004-11-06, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the replys, I hope this get addressed, it's causing me headaches :banghead:

tamas
2004-11-06, 03:22 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, there IS a workaround. Although not very easy:

Wall sweep's shape can be modified by joining it to other overlapping objects using the Tools->Join Geometry command. Then one of the shapes is subtracted from the other. (Which one usually depends on the orther of the picks.)

Now all you need is a void family in the shape of what you want to remove from the sweep. Make it in-place or loaded family and use the join geometry tool to subtract it from the wall sweep.

I know, this is inconvenient for many windows, but it does work.

We try to make this easier in the next release.

adegnan
2004-11-08, 01:00 PM
We try to make this easier in the next release.
WOO HOO! Integrated window and door jambs???? (Maybe I'm asking too much...)