PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Instability Issues

sjsl
2009-08-04, 06:59 PM
We decided to rollout 2010 on a couple of 32 bit machines each with 4 gigs of ram and 256 video ram.

We crashed constantly when working with image files any type and size, alos, crashed when zoomed in to place topo points, moving and general zooming.

We then tried installing the 3GB switch, magic!

Using the same files and imgaes and workflow, knockon wood we have not crashed once in the last 3 hours.

If you are using 2010 w/a 32 bit machine and 4 g of ram , you have to install the switch.

david_peterson
2009-08-04, 07:24 PM
What kind of Chip?
If Xeon, be careful if you must make pdf's. You may be missing some linework.

sjsl
2009-08-05, 02:28 AM
Most of out machines have xeon processors. We'll have to check this because our offices all use pdf's as a standard.

narlee
2009-08-10, 11:54 AM
New info on crashes (I know this isn't exactly how you've crashed, but it's happened to me, and may also be related to your instances), from Revit3D.com:

Issue:
While working in Revit 2010 products, the application crashes with an error message. The Customer Error Report dialog should follow the crash.

Typically the error message will occur when modifying objects or changing views. The two most common messages are:

An unrecoverable error has occurred.
A fatal error has occurred. The application will be terminated.

Solution:
This is a known issue currently being investigated for Revit 2010 products. Taking the following actions can reduce the frequency of these errors:
1. Upgrade the graphics card driver to the latest available manufacturer driver.
2. Disable Hardware Acceleration through Options > Graphics > Graphics Mode. Un-Check Use hardware Acceleration (Direct3D®)
3. Reset the ribbon and Quick Access toolbar. Instructions are located in Help > Ribbon Overview

which says:
To reset the ribbon and Quick Access toolbar

* delete the UIState.dat file located in the Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010 folder under one of the following folders:
o For Windows XP:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\Revit
o For Windows Vista:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk\Revit

ejc
2009-08-10, 04:57 PM
Another firm had the same problem.

It appears that Revit 2010 uses Direct x more than the Open GL stuff.

With that in mind, they adusted the slider under the"
Display Properties
- Settings Tab
-- Advanced Button
--- Trouble Shooting

In their situation, they adjusted down from full 3 notches! They use on-board video :-( and will be upgrading to a standalone card soon. Note: you don't need a God like video card for Revit to work great. Look on the Subscription site for the Revit white papers. I think a 256 card is fine. My gut is that Revit is swung more towards Nvida than ATI.

Hope this helps,

ejc

patricks
2009-08-10, 08:42 PM
We decided to rollout 2010 on a couple of 32 bit machines each with 4 gigs of ram and 256 video ram.

We crashed constantly when working with image files any type and size, alos, crashed when zoomed in to place topo points, moving and general zooming.

We then tried installing the 3GB switch, magic!

Using the same files and imgaes and workflow, knockon wood we have not crashed once in the last 3 hours.

If you are using 2010 w/a 32 bit machine and 4 g of ram , you have to install the switch.

Doesn't work for me.

New info on crashes (I know this isn't exactly how you've crashed, but it's happened to me, and may also be related to your instances), from Revit3D.com:

Issue:
While working in Revit 2010 products, the application crashes with an error message. The Customer Error Report dialog should follow the crash.

Typically the error message will occur when modifying objects or changing views. The two most common messages are:

An unrecoverable error has occurred.
A fatal error has occurred. The application will be terminated.

Solution:
This is a known issue currently being investigated for Revit 2010 products. Taking the following actions can reduce the frequency of these errors:
1. Upgrade the graphics card driver to the latest available manufacturer driver.
2. Disable Hardware Acceleration through Options > Graphics > Graphics Mode. Un-Check Use hardware Acceleration (Direct3D®)
3. Reset the ribbon and Quick Access toolbar. Instructions are located in Help > Ribbon Overview

Doesn't work for me.

Well, turning off graphics acceleration keeps mine from crashing. But then what is the point of even having it?!?

I run a quad Xeon 32-bit machine with 4 GB RAM, 3 GB switch enabled, 128MB nVIDIA Quadro card, have tried the last 4 versions of the driver, and it STILL crashes every 10 minutes or so with hardware acceleration enabled. I hate it, too, because 3D views are SOOO much smoother when hardware acceleration is enabled.

Oh well, guess I'll just live with it until I can get more RAM and Win7 64-bit.

*edit* I also have not had any printing problems to PDF with WU1 installed. Didn't try it before that.

trombe
2009-08-11, 10:23 AM
Hey patricks....
did you ever check on the other threads about this.....I say ignore that techincal note becuase it seems ot me after all of the wide postings about 2010, you must know this tech note might only fix a very narrow band of issues on a very narrow band of machines.
have you tried, to move the QAT, to the top of the ribbon..eg : move the QAT above the Ribbon.

About those other threads....
This stopped my crashing more or less completely, and immediately, on a factory DVD build, a 32 bit machine , with 4Gb RAM, no 3GB switch enabled, a 256 MB Quadro card.

My machine had been crashing approximately every 30 minutes all day every day for weeks, then months actually. I tried 4 different video card drivers including the recommended one and none of that made a bit of difference.
The QAT did.
An AUGI user posted that gem (D Barathd ? - give that man a DB !!).

Anyway, try the QAT gig.
regards
trombe

patricks
2009-08-11, 01:21 PM
I have the QAT above the ribbon (which is pretty awful on my 1280x1024 display, not enough width), and I also turned off the 3D controls visible near the upper right corner of views. Didn't help. Still crashes with hardware acceleration enabled.

dgillespie
2009-08-11, 02:15 PM
Turning all tooltips off did it for me. I still have hardware acceleration turned on.

aaronrumple
2009-08-11, 02:29 PM
Turning all tooltips off did it for me. I still have hardware acceleration turned on.

I have acceleration of. Tooltips off. I still crash.

dgillespie
2009-08-11, 03:42 PM
I have acceleration of. Tooltips off. I still crash.

Just curious, when does it crash? In the middle of a command or when you are engaging the ribbon with the cursor? At random? All of the above?

Didn't mean to imply Revit was running 100% perfect for me -- it just isn't crashing 15-20 times per day anymore.

I consistently crash when hovering over a ribbon and then typing the esc key (old habit from my CAD days). I'm trying to pinpoint which ribbon or during which command so I can send a decent support request.

I also have the QAT up-top, fwiw.

ejc
2009-08-11, 04:51 PM
I have a large Revit file with 5 users. Based on what i am seeing, i would be better off to switch to 64 bit operating system and leave the project as Revit 2009 - Instead of - Converting the project to 2010 to get a smaller file size.

Current file size Revit 2009: 260 meg and climbing daily.

With six weeks remaining, i don't think the file will be usable in about 4 weeks. Already having random memory errors.

Thanks for any input,

ejc