PDA

View Full Version : Wall opening across two walls

harrisbrett
2009-08-05, 02:16 PM
Hi,

When you have two walls parallel to eachother say 1/2" apart you can join geometry of them and have a door cut cut both walls when inserted. Can this be done with wall openings? Or do I have to create an opening in each wall the same size?

Brett

wmullett
2009-08-05, 02:42 PM
Isn't it easier to try it?

Grumple
2009-08-05, 03:09 PM
I'd like to know the right method for this too.

I thought there was a parameter in the door family, but can't find what I'm after...

Any help much apreciated

harrisbrett
2009-08-05, 03:15 PM
Obvously, yes i've tried it. I didn't know if I was missing something or not.

wmullett
2009-08-05, 03:19 PM
Wish you had said that because I would have then suggested using a door family that is just an opening cut.

We have a door that is an uncased opening.

aaronrumple
2009-08-05, 03:20 PM
If you use join geometry on the two parallel walls, they will act in unison and the opening will cut both objects.

Grumple
2009-08-05, 04:08 PM
If you use join geometry on the two parallel walls, they will act in unison and the opening will cut both objects.

I tried this first and it doesn't really work... The door frame remains around the first wall, but doesn't 'stretch' to the other wall.

Is there not a way to make the door frame cover both walls?

cliff collins
2009-08-05, 04:20 PM
How would this be done in the real world?

Probably by filling in the small 1/2" gap in the walls, or specifying a custom
door frame with a wider throat--which is expensive, esp. if there are a lot of them.

The OP was really about an opening, not a door--but if the opening needed to be cased
the same situation would arise.

cheers..........

aaronrumple
2009-08-05, 06:25 PM
I tried this first and it doesn't really work... The door frame remains around the first wall, but doesn't 'stretch' to the other wall.

Is there not a way to make the door frame cover both walls?

That is correct. The only way to get the door frame to stretch is to make one wall with the air space.

wmullett
2009-08-05, 08:50 PM
This thread was just how to get the opening cut across two walls but now that we are talking door frames across the opening, we have a door with a HM frame that is parametric in jamb depth and location from the face of the wall and it could span this... not saying I would.

Although I do remember having some industrial HM door frames years ago that were 12 - 14" deep jambs.

t1.shep
2009-09-23, 05:46 AM
I'm having a similar problem, only it involves windows...
I'm trying to create a family for a tapered/trapezoidal window opening. I have two walls that are some distance apart, but the opening penetrates both walls. However, the opening tapers, so the outside wall is one size, while the interior wall is another size. Is it possible to create a single family that will cut multiple walls?
I tried a wall based family with only a void, but it only cut one wall.
any thoughts?

gaby424
2009-09-23, 09:49 AM
if the two paralel walls have a small space beetwin we can`t use join jometry or i do something wrong?

t1.shep
2009-09-23, 03:13 PM
if the two paralel walls have a small space beetwin we can`t use join jometry or i do something wrong?

The walls I'm dealing with are much further apart (8' is some cases in addition to them not necessarily being parallel). I think may have found the answer in creating an "in place" family that is of type "wall". Then create a void and cut the walls I need cut. It's been suggested to avoid in-place families where ever possible, but I don't believe there is a family template for wall type families like you get with in-place families.
I have limited experience with in-place families, but I assume you're able to make them parametric? I'll have multiple tapered openings of different sizes and angles and need to be able to control that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...?

Andre Carvalho
2009-09-23, 04:55 PM
Is it possible to create a single family that will cut multiple walls?

The family will cut the wall that's actually hosting it, unless the two walls are less than 6" apart as mentioned before. In your case, it sounds like a job for an in place void...

Andre Carvalho

gaby424
2009-09-23, 05:28 PM
The family will cut the wall that's actually hosting it, unless the two walls are less than 6" apart as mentioned before. In your case, it sounds like a job for an in place void...

Andre Carvalho

very interesting. I dind`t knew that if the space between walls is smaller than 6" (15.24cm) you could use join tool so void cuts the second wall too. Who set this minimum of 6"?The factory? Why is this limit? Or what was the background when they choose this value?

Anyway i`m glad to findout this info :) Thanks, Andre.

gaby424
2009-09-23, 06:05 PM
Now i have an ideea for bigger distances. I tested and it works :)

let say you have two paralel walls with 20" between.

The left wall we name it A.
The right wall we name it C.

Now make a new wall that have 20" thickness and put it to fill the space between A and B so we have 3 paralel walls like a vertical hamburger :) .

Join A with B and B with C.

Now we put a Window.Instance on this heavy wall.

On wall B put a parameter, filter for that parameter to find all B type wals in project and make them invisible.

Now any window can span between bigger distances :)

I have tested with windows that use openings or voids.