PDA

View Full Version : Dimension Text Offset

brent.130528
2009-08-05, 04:23 PM
I have adjusted the text offset to be closer to the dimension line than the default setting. This works fine for horizontal and vertical dimensions with opaque text. However, the text on my dimensions for a wall at 45 degrees ends up closer to the dimension line than the horizontal and vertical dimensions, and since it is opaque, it obscures the dimension line.
Upon further examination it appears that within the text box that displays when highlighted the text location (top to bottom) relative to the box varies depending on the angle of the dimension, thus causing the diagonal dimension text to be closer to the line.
Am I going to have to set the text offset back to the worst case scenario until this problem is addressed by Autodesk, or is there a way to make the text offset the same at any angle without changing it to transparent?

phyllisr
2009-08-06, 06:35 AM
...to set the text offset back to the worst case scenario until this problem is addressed...
Before giving up and creating multiple dimension families, check a printed view first. We discovered that depending on the precise offset, the line may appear obscured on your screen but will still print correctly. This does not always work and we found that we had better luck with some PDF writers, printers or plotters than others but sometimes, we got lucky for all venues. Might be worth a try even if it is not exactly what you want.

vbuenaflor
2009-08-17, 03:41 PM
I have adjusted the text offset to be closer to the dimension line than the default setting. This works fine for horizontal and vertical dimensions with opaque text. However, the text on my dimensions for a wall at 45 degrees ends up closer to the dimension line than the horizontal and vertical dimensions, and since it is opaque, it obscures the dimension line.
Upon further examination it appears that within the text box that displays when highlighted the text location (top to bottom) relative to the box varies depending on the angle of the dimension, thus causing the diagonal dimension text to be closer to the line.
Am I going to have to set the text offset back to the worst case scenario until this problem is addressed by Autodesk, or is there a way to make the text offset the same at any angle without changing it to transparent?
Hi there, I'm a newbie in Revit. I just wanted to ask you, how do you go about adjusting the text offset to be closer to the dimension line? I can't seem to find that option anywhere in version 2010.

Thanks

Scott Womack
2009-08-17, 04:40 PM
Hi there, I'm a newbie in Revit. I just wanted to ask you, how do you go about adjusting the text offset to be closer to the dimension line? I can't seem to find that option anywhere in version 2010.

It is in the Type parameters of every dimension style. It is not a "system variable" like Autocad.

brent.130528
2009-08-17, 05:37 PM
On the Annotate tab click the black triangle next to the word Dimension to expand the dimension options. Click Linear Dimension Types. In the Type Properties dialogue box scroll down to the Text section where you will find Text Offset and change it there. Mine is set to 1/64". Keep in mind you will need to modify each dimension style (Linear, Angular, Radial) independently. Just changing Linear does not update the others. It takes a little time, but is worth the effort.