PDA

View Full Version : RAC 2009 - Best Practices for calculating surface areas, etc.

designviz
2009-08-05, 09:12 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for best practices with regard to calculating surface areas, and linear feet of curb? Please refer to the attached PDF, "Quantity Model - Site Plan.pdf," for reference, illustrating the various types of tabular data I am looking to Revit to provide. This site plan and the tabular data was created in ACAD using polylines and manual calculations. Also attached herein, "Quantity Model - Revit Schedules.pdf," is some of the schedule/tabular data I am currently getting out of Revit.

For the surface areas, I have used the Topo tool, and then created sub-regions for sidewalks, asphalt, and concrete, etc. and was hoping to get the quanities for these reported out in either the Site Schedule or the Site Material Takeoff Schedule, but neither seem to give me precisely what I need.

For the curb, I created an in-place Site family and did a solid swept extrusion. I can get the SF and CF for the curb in the Site Material Takeoff schedule, however, ideally I would actually like to get the linear length or perimeter, which should be easy enough for the application to calculate based on the 2D path. Unfortunately though, I can't seem to find a way to do this. Any thoughts on how to do so or perhaps a different method?

Any recommendations, suggestions on how best to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

wmullett
2009-08-05, 09:36 PM
For the site, I split the topo face - assign appropriate material and schedule the topography which gives me projected areas of each split.... grass - asphalt - plant beds - sidewalks.

designviz
2009-08-07, 01:56 PM
Perfect, I missed the Topography Schedule. Thank you.

Now, do you have any recommendations/suggestions for getting linear feet of curb? Is perhaps another schedule eluding me that would perhaps work for this. I am wondering if perhaps I were to create a line based family, that might work. What do you think? Not exactly sure yet how to create one, but I can proably figure it out.