PDA

View Full Version : Beginners Basic Question_Revit 2010

cjcarch
2009-08-08, 03:25 AM
I've done some of the tutorials in Revit 2009 and I downloaded 2010 this week and have jumped in headfirst. As I said, I've done various tutorials but haven't done a "real" project in Revit.

I'm doing the tutorials from a 2010 book and the building has an east wing, a west wing, and a connecting corridor between the two.

I've gone through the creating floors tutorial and the east wing and west wing are both the same floor type, yet the east wing (viewed at 1/8" scale) has a gray tone to the whole floor area. When I zoom into this area, I see that the gray tone is caused by what appears to be a grid (approx. 2" x 2" in size).

I can't figure out why I'm seeing this grid on the east wing. When I zoom into the west wing, I see the "sand" pattern which agrees with the selected floor finish material appearance.

It's probably something simple that I've done to make this grid pattern appear, but I can't figure out how to make it not appear.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Carl

dbaldacchino
2009-08-08, 03:58 AM
Sounds like maybe you painted the floor surface with a different material? Use the paint tool again and select <By Category>, then paint it to revert it back to the original definition. See if that changes it. How does it look in 3D? Post some images as it might help to find what's wrong or post the project file.

Andre Carvalho
2009-08-08, 05:15 AM
Or maybe you used the option to override graphics in view... When you right click an element in Revit, you can select the option Override Graphics in View by element and override the surface pattern, cut pattern, etc...Try doing this and checking if there's any override for the surface pattern. You can also click the option to reset any override you may have done.

Andre Carvalho

dbaldacchino
2009-08-08, 02:10 PM
Yep, that's another option. I thought it was a little unlikely to do it by mistake since it takes a few clicks. Having said that, I've found users find the "you shouldn't use that" techniques faster than those they should use!

cjcarch
2009-08-08, 07:02 PM
Dave & Andre,
Thanks very much for your help.

The tutorials had me change the floor pattern in the restrooms to a tile finish and somehow I must've done something to select the entire level 1 floor area instead of just the restroom areas.

I had done it initially and it showed correctly in just the restroom area but somewhere along the line, I did something to apply it to the whole floor area.

Thanks for your help - it was driving me nuts.
Carl

Gadget Man
2009-08-09, 01:36 AM
Dave & Andre,
Thanks very much for your help.

The tutorials had me change the floor pattern in the restrooms to a tile finish and somehow I must've done something to select the entire level 1 floor area instead of just the restroom areas.

I had done it initially and it showed correctly in just the restroom area but somewhere along the line, I did something to apply it to the whole floor area.

Thanks for your help - it was driving me nuts.
Carl

Hi Carl,

I don't know what the tutorials say - the last one I completed was in version 5.0 - but I have a strong feeling (from your description) that you used the "split face"-and-paint-the-resulting-region-a-different-material technique.

I found that if you use this "split face" technique, say on a wall, and you apply your chosen material to it than, if you as much as touch this particular wall later, it adopts the material of your region.

It is a known bug that has been present since I can remember, so it may not be your fault after all... What you have to do then is to apply (paint bucket) the "by category" material to the offending area to fix it.

However, bear in mind that it may happen again if you again touch that wall in some way (move, align, stretch, etc.) That's why you want to apply any materials to the "split face" regions at the very end...

I very strongly oppose this particular technique of creating different floor finishes (for walls unfortunately you really have not much choice without involving much more work).

I am from the other school: "model in Revit like it is built in the real life".

In the real life, your floor tiles are applied on top of the other floor. What's more, they have their thickness too, so does the adhesive under them... Depending on your tiles it may vary from as little as 10mm (adhesive + ceramic floor tiles) to as much as 50mm or more (cement bed + e.g. terracotta or slate tiles). It is not neglectable...

Even some thin vinyl tiles, having a thickness of only 1.5-2mm (with glue), are a separate layer too applied on top of the other floor...

That's why I always make them as a separate floor with a proper thickness and create it on top of my other floor.

After the one-of initial creation of the new floor type, the rest of the procedure is even shorter than for the split face technique. You still have to define the "region" (boundary of your floor) but you don't have to apply any material any more... It's already done for you... And you have no problems with the surrounding areas...

cjcarch
2009-08-09, 04:23 AM
Jerry,
I think you've hit the nail directly on the head. Your first paragraph sounds exactly what I did in the tutuorial.

Tomorrow, when I've got a fresher mind (been working on tutorials for over 8 hours today), I'm going to try the approach that you mention. I really appreciate your input.
Carl