PDA

View Full Version : Side by Side Roads

ismer.pr
2009-08-10, 02:43 PM
Hello everyone. I am working in a project that has two alignments (roads) side by side, but they are at different elevation. They are separated by a retaining wall, are not parallel and have a third (small) road that connects them.
I need to have sections view of both alignments, and since they are side by side I need to see the two roads on both sets of sections view.
My question is, What do I need to do to avoid the double earth work material calculation? I am in the need of saying how much cut material is in road A at a given station but that doesn’t include road B.
The only idea that I have to do this is to have two different surface, or is it better to have two corridors.

SRBalliet
2009-08-11, 11:02 AM
I not an expert, but I would say stick to one surface and two corridors. Two surfaces would just confuse things. We have this exact situation coming up on a job so I will be interested to hear others comments, too.

jpaulsen
2009-08-12, 03:13 PM
I am not an expert either but I would do one corridor with multiple baselines so you can get quantities per station.

When you create section views; however, only the assembly from the main baseline will show. I have heard of tricks to get the assembly on the additional baselines to show but I have not tried them myself. I think it had something to do with offset assemblies.

When we have run into this situation we show the proposed and existing surfaces in the section views and not the assemblies. Not perfect but it works for our needs.