PDA

View Full Version : overlaying views and merging of lines thru them...

AJGKennedy
2009-08-10, 08:31 PM
I would like to Take a view I have made with special settings and overlay this view over another view... part of the other view... there are parts of both views that overlap with information that show in very different ways from very different views... so It came to be the best plan to overlap the views to do the trick...

We have used plan regions for different view options and depths of views on some of the plans, but in some cases this still will not show everything we need... so this is where I have landed...

But I am now seeing that it may not work as planned... unless someone can tell me that there is a way...

What I am seeing right now is that the one view seems to overpower the other view... in other words... it will not allow any of the detail from the view below it to show through... blocking it from view... I would like both views to merge together were they over lap...

Anyone know if this is possible?

Please let me know...

Thanks..

cliff collins
2009-08-10, 09:39 PM
It's a bit hard to say without an example--please post an example of what you are trying to do.

I assume you have also tried using Underlays?

Is it possible to "send the view to back" or "forward" as in Display Order?

You may need to export an image of the two views and merge together
in Photoshop using .png file format which will allow the transparency you are after.

cheers.......

AJGKennedy
2009-09-21, 07:38 PM
I am looking at some elevation sections that I would love to do similar overlapping view with. and have some of the view sow as lighter (background views) cut two elevations one for section and close view. and the other for distance items that could be shown lighter. but again... overlaying the viewports is not working as I would like for this... It would be really nice if they did...

gbrowne
2009-09-22, 03:19 PM
I would love to see what you mean. Do you have previous examples? And, if so, how did you do them?

AJGKennedy
2009-09-22, 03:39 PM
I would love to see what you mean. Do you have previous examples? And, if so, how did you do them?

Actually I was looking around and found this passed post that might do the trick for the elevations... still won't do my plan things... but elevations great...

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=47550&highlight=overlapping+views

See the 8th post under this thread... from Max Lloyd... It is a good one... and then load of people got into it on how to make it work even better...

This is the magic of discussion groups

gbrowne
2009-09-22, 03:52 PM
Oh gawd, that looks like workaround hell, no?!

Something is fundamentally wrong if we have to resort to such methods, don't you think?

AJGKennedy
2009-09-22, 04:04 PM
Oh gawd, that looks like workaround hell, no?!

Something is fundamentally wrong if we have to resort to such methods, don't you think?

Yes... It is less than appealing... but it will work...

What I was thinking was cutting a view looking at it with a view depth to a given point...

Then another view cutting starting at were that view stopped and have it have a deeper depth... and set it's display setting to underlay... making it show as grayed out...

This approach would only give me one level of difference... and I can't get it to work anyways since the view wipe each other out...

I think that Many have made it a point that the general desire is that a wish item would be to have depth cut lines available within every view to set reduction in the views intensity... giving that appearance of distance... allowing for this depth in our drawings without resorting to such measures...

Until then... We have bright folks coming up with ways to think outside the box... work around... You have to read on for a bit to find the ways to make it easier to manage then just creating the glass sheets that would become pains in your neck every were you go...

But it could assist if you are trying to get the great look to your documents that you may have thought gone now that you are using Revit...

twiceroadsfool
2009-09-22, 04:12 PM
What hes doing in that workaround ISNT overlaying views, btw. Hes using a 3D view oriented to an elevation, with modeled semi-transparent glass causing the fade out efffect.

I know what youre discussing, as ive done it on some presentation elevations. Though when i do it, i make the views NOT overlap. (I use sections, and then make the extents end at one another, etc).

It may be worth it for presentations, but its a major annoyance in Documentation. Multiple view markers, needing actual Reference Other View markers if you use 3D views oriented to an elevation (3D views dont get references on plans), performance degradation... View titles versus having 4 elevations on sheets.

Im not saying its not worth it, you figure that out. But it has a price.

AJGKennedy
2009-10-28, 05:03 PM
I am back to posting to this post... It is not just for the sake of having the ability of fading backdrops that I would like to have the ability to have overlapping views... I was just given the problem and request how could I do this... from someone who is more junior that I in using Revit within our office... and I could see the solution with overlapping view quickly... and I have been recently working back and forth between a current project in 2010 and an old large project that will not transfer and is to close to its end to try from 2008... Revit... and in that 2008 version I did use some overlays... that are not wiping out all the information behind the views... So I do not know what changed...

It would be nice to have this ability again...

It the current case it is double folded request of wanting to show lower level plans, like the lower roofs around a floor plan in a multi storey building... (this would be nice to have the contrasting effects we have already discussed... but what can we do...) and to have roof overhang information from the plan above brought in and shown in hidden line format...

In both cases the ability to have multiple views on a sheet that overlay each other without wiping each other out would be great... Then you could create views that show only what you want shown in those views for the overlays... save them as overlay views and bring them in snap them together... You can even override the line colors to get that depth feel if needed...

So... the question again... why does it work in 2008... but not in 2010? It would be nice to have a solution to this… It would be a great tool to have…