PDA

View Full Version : Using Sherwin Williams .mlib File

cwilrycx.109927
2009-08-11, 06:16 PM
I am trying to use custom paints provided by Sherwin Williams, and I canot figure out how to create a new material (paint) and how to import the .mlib file. Any thoughts?

cliff collins
2009-08-11, 06:26 PM
You need to get the actual maps ( jpegs, bitmaps ) or equivalent RGB colors
from SW and create new materials from the OFTB Mental Ray materials.

Start with an existing Paint Material, duplicate it, and under render appearance
specify a map or RGB color and save as a new material called SW-xxx etc.

As I understand it, you can not load a .mlib file into the new Mental Ray render engine.
This has been true ever since Accurender was replaced with Mental Ray.

Someone else please pipe in if there's another answer.........

cheers

cwilrycx.109927
2009-08-11, 06:54 PM
I did receive an XLS sheet from SWilliams with RGB's for all their paints. So under Render Appearance I leave it as DEFAULT? I did in fact adjust the RGB, and it is obvious in the shaded views. What I find odd it that Autodesk Seek provides you with MLIB and a Family...The family is a generic model.

Scott D Davis
2009-08-11, 07:27 PM
I did receive an XLS sheet from SWilliams with RGB's for all their paints. So under Render Appearance I leave it as DEFAULT? I did in fact adjust the RGB, and it is obvious in the shaded views. What I find odd it that Autodesk Seek provides you with MLIB and a Family...The family is a generic model.

Under Render Appearance, you want to pick an existing paint from the library and then modify that. Don't use just the Default render appearance, because then you lose all the special characteristics of Paint.

See the screen capture image for more info

rbcameron1
2014-05-14, 02:06 PM
Does this adlib file exist? Can't find it after google search, can't find it on SW's website...

EDIT: ohhh, the *.adsklib exists as a template only. Not all the colors are made yet. Just gloss, semi-gloss, flat, etc...

bglunz343841
2014-05-21, 02:42 PM
rbcameron, You are right, some of the files are templates only. Others like the ProMar200 (found here: http://seek.autodesk.com/product/latest/agg/sherwin-williams/SherwinWilliams/SW003)
have all the colors. Other products are scheduled to be released in full color over the coming months. Enjoy!
There is also a video documenting the process here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHiVvVigdNY