PDA

View Full Version : Curved Mullion not Curving

Grumple
2009-08-13, 01:37 PM
Hi all,

I have a mass shape with circular indents in one face.

I have used the Building Maker tools to build up the walls etc. and I have made the indented circular faces curtain walls. I now want to simply add a mullion around the outside of the circular 'windows'.

I can get the mullion to curve on 2 quarters of the window edge, but on the other 2 quarters the mullions just go straight...

I've attached an image to explain further.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Why can't it just make all the mullions curved - as you'd expect?

Any help would be much appreciated.

wmullett
2009-08-13, 02:11 PM
Not sure what you are doing. I don't have any problems - see atached. I'm using 09.

Are you using an automatic curtain wall ... has preset spacings and mullions? Mine is completely manual.

cliff collins
2009-08-13, 03:27 PM
In the Curtain System, see if horizontal and vertical grid spacing is set to
maximum distance--and if so, change it to "none"

Does this work?

cheers.........

Grumple
2009-08-13, 04:05 PM
Hi chaps,

The curtain system is auto but without pre set mullions, I am adding those manually.

The grid spacing is set to fixed number - changing it to none doesn't work.

I don't see why 2 of the mullions will follow the curve and 2 won't...

I've attached an image of the curtain system parameters.

cliff collins
2009-08-13, 04:27 PM
I suspect that the fixed number setting is causing the problem.
Try setting it to "none"--( can't remember if that is a choice )

Or, it could be that the diameter of the circle is too small for the Curtain System
as currently setup, to solve the mullion pattern.

cheers..........

wmullett
2009-08-13, 04:55 PM
I suspected that you were using an automatic CW. Don't do that! That is not meant for this kind of application. Just use the maual one and add curtain grids in the middle and the correct mullions around the edge and on the grids.

Grumple
2009-08-14, 08:09 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a 'Manual' curtain system...

Whether I use the building maker tool - or the Curtain System tool from the Home tab - they do the same thing (add a load of grids automatically)...

Is it a case of making a curtain WALL on the face, then spliting that with grids?

Scott Womack
2009-08-14, 10:42 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a 'Manual' curtain system...
... Is it a case of making a curtain WALL on the face, then splitting that with grids?

No, Duplicate, and Define a Curtainwall system where inside the curtainwall definition both the Horizontal pattern, and the Vertical pattern is set to None. Now when you draw a curtain wall there will be NO interior mullions drawn automatically. This allows you complete freedom to add curtainwall grids where ever you want them.

Grumple
2009-08-17, 08:18 AM
Nice...

Thanks guys : )

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-02-28, 07:31 PM
Reviving this thread with a new angle (pun intended)
See the attached image. I am trying to create this situation but the grids are not vertical, they are angled. I can't find a way to get Revit to do this automatically no matter how I try.
FYI, the glazing needs to be a curtain system because the wall face is canted 10 degrees outward.

I have played with this and the only method I can get working is to create a curtain system for the overall opening, no pattern or mullions defined. Grid 1 and 2 borders will put an unbroken frame around the perimeter.
Then I'll create a face based family to represent the mullions. there are five or six different layouts so it's a bit of a pain.
If anyone can figure out how this can be done using a 'system' I'm open to suggestions.

wbond2000107648
2013-08-28, 08:23 PM
I think you have to use "storefront curtain wall system" and not curtain wall to get a curved
wall going. I realize once you do that, it will also set up all the window mullions for you.
So you have to erase and move grid per your new design. I quess this is another work around?