PDA

View Full Version : Curved Roof pattern not rotating?

ACE001
2009-08-13, 03:13 PM
I could use some help here from someone who's facile with the patterns in R2010...

I have a concave mansard roof with a model pattern on it which refuses to rotate on the curved face.
Attached is a screen capture...
When I select the pattern grab-lines, and rotate, the pattern stays oreinted in this way. If I change the simple Arc curve of the roof to straight line, the pattern behaves as it should and rotates.

Any work-around for this?

ACE001
2009-08-13, 03:16 PM
here's a view of the profile...

cliff collins
2009-08-13, 03:21 PM
I believe this is a known issue with Revit--since a few releases ago.

Patterns do not behave well when rotated on curved planes.

Unless someone knows something to the contrary?

cheers.......

ACE001
2009-08-13, 03:31 PM
I thought patterns on curved surfaces was introduced in R2009 and came with all the typical functionality?
What'sweird is that in one elevation it is oriented properly. The other elevations show the pattern oriented in the 3 other major axis, 90, 180 and 270.

I believe this is a known issue with Revit--since a few releases ago.

Patterns do not behave well when rotated on curved planes.

Unless someone knows something to the contrary?

cheers.......

AP23
2009-08-13, 03:51 PM
Recently, I've been having the same issue on a very simple garage project. I've even tried replacing the models patterns with real world components, using pattern based curtain panels on a divided surface. The only work-around I know is to create the patterns in Autocad or Rhino and import as 3d DWG in Revit.

ACE001
2009-08-13, 04:14 PM
I can replace the arc curve with multiple lines following the same path(similar to segmentation), providing me with flat sections that allow the pattern to rotate as needed but the down-side is each of these sections show up with thick lines. Which makes for a tedious clean-up which is not practical.

For the dwg that you imported, did you import just the pattern or the roof geometry?

ACE001
2009-08-13, 06:50 PM
What about taking the patern and creating 3 other copies of it and rotating the pattern in the pattern file then loading it into Revit as a total of 4 patterns so there's one rotated correctly for each side of the curved roof. That might work. Now, if there were only a tool in Revit to edit these complex patterns...

cliff collins
2009-08-13, 06:54 PM
Great until you change the Mass model and the curves all change--then you need more
"custom patterns" again---I agree, Revit needs tools to fix this.

cheers......

AP23
2009-08-13, 09:33 PM
I can replace the arc curve with multiple lines following the same path(similar to segmentation), providing me with flat sections that allow the pattern to rotate as needed but the down-side is each of these sections show up with thick lines. Which makes for a tedious clean-up which is not practical.

For the dwg that you imported, did you import just the pattern or the roof geometry?

Just the 3d pattern.