PDA

View Full Version : Roof - Witches hat

tklein.208994
2009-08-13, 10:32 PM
Anyone know how to get materials to model on a roof like the one in the attached picture? I't easy enough to model w/ roof by footprint for the upper portion and a host sweep for the flare at the eave. The problem I'm having is getting the materials to look right on the upper roof - they want to spiral.

patricks
2009-08-14, 01:06 PM
I don't think there's any way you'll get a model pattern to look right on that, except possibly if you only show the horizontal lines between the rows of tile on the roof. The number of tiles on each "course" decreases as you go up the roof, so the joints all line up differently between each course.

T_Klein
2009-08-14, 06:41 PM
I was able to do it as an in place family and paint the roof. The model lines displayed and rendered correctly.

cliff collins
2009-08-14, 07:29 PM
Can we have a peek?

cheers.....

tklein.208994
2009-08-17, 06:10 PM
I had to rotate the surface pattern for the HL view and the material image file and bump for the rendered image.

The first go-around I had used wood shakes for the sufrace pattern and material and it looked ok at first glance, but switching to slate revealed that the materails were rotated 90 deg. Rotating the pattern and material orientation fixed that.

I presume one could create a custom hatch pattern that would show the vertial lines for the slate in the HL view, but I don't know how to go about doing that.