PDA

View Full Version : Concrete beams: How to apply a finish material?

wbenatti
2009-08-17, 11:12 AM
hi, I have an isolate concrete beam in a center of a room and I want this beam with a 25 mm finish material in every beam side , how can I get this?? I´ve tried to enclose the beam with a wall (25mm large than the beam in all faces) changing the height of wall base level. Please, that's the best way to make this? Thanks.

jeh.212740
2009-08-17, 12:56 PM
You could create a new beam family adding the finish layer to it.

gbrowne
2009-08-17, 01:40 PM
In - place family, or Paint face. Or a wall as you say. Or a family. Or even a profile i suppose..

wbenatti
2009-08-18, 12:14 PM
i've tried to make this type of family yet but I'm not familiar with “beam template”, so...I'm doing errors...errors...you know. Well, I would like to know if any of you have such a family. I'm attaching a thumbnail of a generic section of this beam, thanks.

Andre Carvalho
2009-08-18, 12:57 PM
Since they are two different elements (one is structural and the other is just a finish or cladding), I'd build the finish as either an architectural column and place it on the same location of the structural column, to wrap it or build it as a wall.

Andre Carvalho

wbenatti
2009-08-18, 01:57 PM
Hi Andre, but my problem is BEAM not column

Andre Carvalho
2009-08-18, 02:49 PM
Hi Andre, but my problem is BEAM not column

Sorry. My bad... I think I read your post too fast and thought it was a column. Well, being a beam, of course you have to ignore what I have said above. The best way, in my opinion, will be modeling it as a sweep or extrusion and part of the beam family.

Andre Carvalho

wbenatti
2009-08-18, 05:21 PM
Ok Andre. I'll try to do this.
By the way, would satisfy my curiosity (the question has nothing to do with this post). I realized that your name is a brazilian name, I'm brazilian. Are you too? or family?
Just curiosity

Andre Carvalho
2009-08-18, 05:59 PM
By the way, would satisfy my curiosity (the question has nothing to do with this post). I realized that your name is a brazilian name, I'm brazilian. Are you too? or family?
Just curiosity

Yes, I am. Immigrated to Canada 9 years ago. At that time, I discovered Revit and start learning it on my own, but no one was using it in Brazil (just a few users in the United States and Canada, I think). So I had to look abroad and found an architect here in Canada, using it and "desperately" looking for Revit users at that time...

As Revit became more popular, I left that office and moved to the Revit consulting business, which is what I have been doing so far.

We have a great portuguese and spanish forum here on AUGI. If you ever need to post questions on these languages, feel free to post there, as I'm constantly visiting their threads to help there as well.

Andre Carvalho

wbenatti
2009-08-19, 10:46 AM
Ok Andre, muito obrigado mais uma vez pela atenção, frequentarei mais os foruns. Tambem sou um apaixonado por Revit!
cheers.........

ArxDizaj@yandex.ru
2015-11-15, 08:04 PM
Just curiosity
How to apply a finish material?ArxDizaj@yandex.ru, ArxDizaj@gmail.com

gustavoauad
2018-03-09, 01:58 AM
Modeling the finish layer as an extrusion in family editor is a solution, but how about the structural model export? I'm a structural engineer and I'm used to model my structure on revit and then export to another software to make the structure analysis and design. I think doing this way (modeling the finish layer as another extrusion form) will give me some structural geometry interpretation issue by the other application involved in the process. Is there a way to differentiate structural geometry of non structural in the same family? How can I address this problem?