PDA

View Full Version : Wall Tags for Partition Types

jasontirone
2004-11-08, 10:02 PM
Is there a way to create a wall tag that will automatically read the wall or partition type from the wall itself???

dhallett
2004-11-08, 11:51 PM
We did this by setting up a library of every wall type we thought we might ever use, then giving each a unique number. So if you don’t mind a wall schedule that has non-sequential numbers, this is what we did:

Create a WallObjects property set with an automatic property that uses the “Notes from Style” field as its source. Create a wall tag in which the wall number reads this field. Then in each wall style, place a wall number value under “text notes” in the notes area (on the General tab of the Wall Style Properties dialog box).

A wall type that is 5/8 GWB on 4” studs might be number G23, while a similar wall with 6” studs might be G35. When you tag the wall, the number is automatically displayed in the tag. If you then change the wall type, the tag automatically updates. Works great!

dkoch
2004-11-09, 01:51 AM
If you are using ADT3 or later, you could also create a style-based Property Set Definition and include a manual property within that to store the wall type designation for each style. Attach that PSD to each wall style and fill in the appropriate text for each wall. Reference that property in the tag and, as in dhallett's example, the tag will update if you change wall styles.

jasontirone
2004-11-09, 02:53 PM
Ok, I've got the property set definition set. Where I get hung up is the best way to link the text in my annotation symbol to the note field in the wall type.

jwanstaett
2004-11-09, 05:58 PM
Ok, I've got the property set definition set. Where I get hung up is the best way to link the text in my annotation symbol to the note field in the wall type.You can not link the text in a annotation symbol to the property set! A annotation symbol is a block.

You need to use MvBlock with Attribute to link the text in the wall note field to the attribute in the Mvblock . You set the tag of the attribute to "Propertset:property" and then use _AecTagAnchorAdd to anchor the MvBlock to the wall. This will display the text in the wall note field in the attribute of the Mvblock.

dhallett
2004-11-09, 06:02 PM
In the WallObjects property set, we have a property called “Type” (I don't remember if it was in the default property set, or if we added it). It is set as an automatic property that uses the “Notes from Style” as its source. In the wall tag MVBlock, the attribute for the wall number is set as “WALLOBJECTS:TYPE”. When attached to the wall, the tag displays whatever text is placed in the notes field for that particular wall style.

The method suggested by dkoch may be better as it doesn’t use up the notes field which you may want for other comments.