PDA

View Full Version : Revision - Per Sheet or Per Project?

barrie.sharp
2009-08-19, 09:58 AM
Just looking for some pros and cons. Now I'm getting confident with Revit, I'm trying to define project standards and define my template.

Plus, are there good uses for using both alphabetic and numeric Numbering?

Scott Womack
2009-08-19, 10:25 AM
Just looking for some pros and cons. Now I'm getting confident with Revit, I'm trying to define project standards and define my template.

Plus, are there good uses for using both alphabetic and numeric Numbering?

Personally, I like the "By Project" concept. This is different from the AutoCAD or manual drafting age, when this system was more difficult to track/manage. Since Revit will do it for you, I prefer it now. Also the Revision Number is an option for another column in the Drawing List Schedule that is typically placed on the Cover Sheet. It then lists the most current revision of every sheet in the set.

Drawback - You consultants have to come to you for a Revision Number.

tomnewsom
2009-08-19, 10:50 AM
We use the Issued By field to store the 'Issue Set' number (eg. P1, P2, P3 for preliminary issues, T1, T2, T3 for the tender issues, C1, C2, C3 for the construction issues)

Then, individual changes to the design get a Number each, on a per project basis. These have Descriptions like "2nd floor windows dropped to 450mm Cill" or "Bidet added to bathrooms" and are ballooned in all relevant views.

This means that the numbers always match up from sheet to sheet, so we can talk on the phone or email about "In issue T2, our revision 45 clearly shows the addition of Bidets and you have not allowed for the plumbing. This revision is shown on these sheets..." or whatever.

I've attached a sample revision schedule from one of sheets to illustrate this.

William Troeak
2009-08-19, 03:52 PM
Wow that is one heck of a revision schedule.....I can see that it does a great job of tracking changes....never seen one like that before.

tomnewsom
2009-08-19, 04:46 PM
I think it's quite specific to the line of work we do - luxury hotels with very demanding clients and tight deadlines. Good record-keeping is essential :)

"No, Mr. Client, you asked us to change it, then change it back, then change it again. Look, see, right here, it's all written down. That's why it's your fault you have guests booked into unfinished rooms."

barrie.sharp
2009-08-20, 11:40 AM
Good food for thought. I'm definately swayed to using project issues. Cheers

saeborne
2009-08-20, 01:41 PM
Honestly... I can't think of a practical / real world scenario where "Per Sheet" would be better. Does anyone use it? If so, let us know how it's helpful.

Cheers,

Bryan

peterjegan
2009-08-20, 02:45 PM
We use "By Sheet" here. We determined either way works fine, but our head of production wanted "By Sheet."