PDA

View Full Version : Revit License was not borrowed, File needs to be saved!

ROBinHI
2009-08-19, 06:44 PM
I had a user take one of our notebooks home without borrowing the license, he did a ton of work that we can't afford to lose and it needs to be saved. He was not able to save as it was in stand-alone or demo mode. I tried connecting back up to the network but it won't because there are open files. Not that this should work but I tried to open another session of Revit which will obtain a license but the first session will not obtain the license or allow me to save the file.

Any suggestions?

twiceroadsfool
2009-08-19, 06:48 PM
1. No one should be working for THAT long without saving... Thats just not good practice at all.

2. He cant click on the R, and go to Licensing while hes on the network, and specify the license server and borrow one?

ROBinHI
2009-08-19, 08:12 PM
1. No one should be working for THAT long without saving... Thats just not good practice at all.

2. He cant click on the R, and go to Licensing while hes on the network, and specify the license server and borrow one?

1.) We both know that! I was unaware that this user was taking it home to do work or else I would have mentioned he would need to check out a license. They've been notified by e-mail before and told several times but if you don't do it on a regular basis its hard to remember. Even I find myself at the last minute thinking... whoa I need to check out a license before leaving the office planning to work at home.

2.) "A new network license cannot be obtained where there are modified files."

twiceroadsfool
2009-08-19, 08:53 PM
LOL, ouch. That stinks. Ive never tried to do it AFTER editing a file. Makes sense though. if people could do that, they could work on thirty computers then pass the single license around to save, LOL.

Sounds like time to cut bait and redo it...

ROBinHI
2009-08-19, 09:12 PM
LOL, ouch. That stinks. Ive never tried to do it AFTER editing a file. Makes sense though. if people could do that, they could work on thirty computers then pass the single license around to save, LOL.

Sounds like time to cut bait and redo it...

Yeah, I totally understand what your saying but thought i'd ask if there was a solution for this as I can see this being a problem for other people as well. I can still see this happening again with my users. They will assume that since it was working while on the network that it will work offline. Like I said, even being told its easy to forget especially when they are focusing on work - not trying to manage licenses.

My first response was to redo the work but I had to ask anyways just in case there was a way.

Thanks!

bholmes
2009-08-19, 09:18 PM
If you can obtain a "standalone - locked" license it can be entered and the work can be saved. Had a similar problem and this was AutoDesk's solution. Great if you have a spare standalone license, but probably cheaper to redo the work if you don't.

ROBinHI
2009-08-19, 09:51 PM
If you can obtain a "standalone - locked" license it can be entered and the work can be saved. Had a similar problem and this was AutoDesk's solution. Great if you have a spare standalone license, but probably cheaper to redo the work if you don't.

OMG that totally worked! Exactly what I was looking for... thanks bro!

bholmes
2009-08-20, 12:56 PM
No problemo, glad I could help.