PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2010 - Loading Profiles in Mass modeling

sharanumotgi
2009-08-20, 11:02 AM
Hi,
I am having bit concern regarding the mass modeling in Revit 2010.My concern is whether its possible to use the profile families i already have to develop a mass modeling (in-place and conceptual mass)? In 2009 version we had a option to load profiles even in Mass modeling. I know we can use these profile families in developing any family indivually and also in commands like wall sweep. But cant we use the profile families in same manner into Mass modelin?

tomnewsom
2009-08-20, 11:38 AM
AFAIK, the new mass modelling tools are completely divorced from the old modeller.

If you create a simple mass in 2009 - just a simple extrusion, for example - then load that project into 2010, you can edit the mass and get all the old modelling tools back. Of course, you no longer have the fancy new stuff, but I don't like the fancy new stuff :)

AP23
2009-08-20, 12:59 PM
What seemed at first to be a terrible idea to only introduce the new modelling tools into the massing environment, was actually a wise move. Not having the ability to bring in profiles in the normal families, would have been even more disastrous. That said, I hope the factory figures out a way to bring in profiles in the new massing families as well as implementing these tools in all families in the next release. It's questionable though if Revit will ever get to that point, considering the overwhelming amounts of pleads to make Revit a more word/excell/access like program.

Scott D Davis
2009-08-20, 04:03 PM
You can make conceptual mass families that contain only 2d line work to form a profile. Then you can nest that conceputal mass "profile" into another conceptual mass family. Tab-select the linework in the nested family, and click the Create Form button.

The nested families can contain paramenters that can be used to adjust the form.

AP23
2009-08-20, 04:35 PM
You can make conceptual mass families that contain only 2d line work to form a profile. Then you can nest that conceputal mass "profile" into another conceptual mass family. Tab-select the linework in the nested family, and click the Create Form button.

The nested families can contain paramenters that can be used to adjust the form.

Is this just a workaround or the intended new workflow?

nole
2009-08-21, 07:43 AM
Hi there!
You can work with old massing tools if You start a new mass family with an old massing template.

Scott D Davis
2009-08-21, 03:14 PM
Is this just a workaround or the intended new workflow?

Using nested families is intended workflow. Is it intended to be a replacement for profiles? I don't think so.