PDA

View Full Version : graded region

tgorter
2009-08-20, 07:08 PM
My project is an addition to house. I have set up Existing and New Construction phases. I brought the Land Survey CAD drawing into Revit and used it to create the existing topography in the Existing Phase.

I then switched to a New Construction view, and clicked Graded Region, with the objective of editing the existing topography to make space for the addition. Revit asked me if i wanted to create the identical surface, i said yes. I edited the topography using the points. i also placed new points to smooth out the curves of my new contour lines.

When i finished, I could't see the modifications i had just made. Rather, the "demo" part of the site topo was visible as a dashed line, but not the new topo edits i had made. After messing with the phasing of the view, i discovered i needed to put the phase view to Show All and make the exisitng topo surface transparent, so that i could see the cut areas of the new surface below the exisitng one. IS THAT HOW THE VISIBILITY OF PHASES FOR TOPO IS SUPPOSED TO WORK? Seems like it should show me existing, demo as dashed, and new topo without having to make one surface transparent.

But there is a more important issue. The program has decided (on its own) to edit the three contour lines closest to the edits i made, in what looks like an effort to "smooth out" the grading operation. WHY IS IT DOING THIS??? Can i make it stop?? The municipality i work in is very particular about the amount of cut and fill and this has increased those numbers substantially. Is there an answer?

cliff collins
2009-08-20, 09:05 PM
check out this thread:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=96588&highlight=grading+toposurface

and others by seraching the Revit Forums

I believe the red transparent color can be overridden in Phase Graphics Overrides--
it just comes in that way by default?

cheers......

patricks
2009-08-21, 12:50 PM
Yes, to make grading plans show up correctly, you have to set the view to Show All. For this reason, we usually end up making a "Site Demo" workset, so that all items demolished in the site, aside from the existing topo, go on this workset and is turned off in the grading plan. Any other miscellaneous building demo stuff that shows up in the view will be hidden in the grading plan view (or have its workset turned off, if it's on the Interior workset for example).