PDA

View Full Version : How best to label Views?

barrie.sharp
2009-08-21, 09:33 AM
I have a standard for Sheets but I'm starting to realise that views need careful labelling. My projects often consist of existing, proposed with a few design options and as builts. This means that a ground floor plan can have 6 views. Then I may duplicate each view for different sheet issues (design, planning,...) because they require different visibility settings and because Revit only allows a view on one sheet at a time. Multiply that by each level and that's just floor plans!

I think that I'm doing the right thing duplicating views but it gets messy "how many views!" :shock:

If you do the same, you must have a labelling system that keeps things under control and I imagine you also do clever things with project browser filters! I would be appreciate your views on the matter (sorry, couldn't resist a pun)

Scott Womack
2009-08-21, 10:45 AM
I have a standard for Sheets but I'm starting to realize that views need careful labeling. My projects often consist of existing, proposed with a few design options and as-builds. This means that a ground floor plan can have 6 views. Then I may duplicate each view for different sheet issues (design, planning,...) because they require different visibility settings and because Revit only allows a view on one sheet at a time. Multiply that by each level and that's just floor plans!

I think that I'm doing the right thing duplicating views but it gets messy "how many views!" :shock:

If you do the same, you must have a labeling system that keeps things under control and I imagine you also do clever things with project browser filters! I would be appreciate your views on the matter (sorry, couldn't resist a pun)

I guess you know that you'll get more options that you have people answering, but here goes. We have tried very elaborate schemes that never work for more than one project, or at best one round of projects by one or tow of the studios here. We have finally come up with a more simplistic two page document that is beginning to take hold here. I've attached it to illustrate.

tomnewsom
2009-08-21, 11:25 AM
Add a shared parameter to your project (and your office template if you have one) called View Type. Then you can assign a Type to each View, and create a Browser Organisation that puts each View Type in its own group. Voila, instant tidyness!

Typical View Types that I'm using right now include: Misc, Working, Presentation, Fire, Building Regs. etc.

barrie.sharp
2009-08-21, 03:03 PM
Thank you both. I have played around with your ideas and the project parameter has made a big difference; I was going to just sort by name and code the names!

The only thing that is a pain is having to make each view name unique. I am labelling existing plans as Exg - Level1 - 1st Floor and new as New - Level1 - 1st Floor. It seems a bit redundant as I am already sorting by phase.