PDA

View Full Version : WHY must I use linework???

patricks
2009-08-21, 07:56 PM
I have 2 wall types, completely identical in every way except for the material of the exterior finished face. All layer thicknesses are the same, all sweeps (brick wainscot) are the same.

These 2 wall types exist in-line with one another in many different places around my building, and all looks fine in elevations except in ONE place. At one wall location, there is a hard line between the two wall types, even though both are exactly aligned and geometry is joined. The other end of that same wall looks fine where it joins with the other wall type.

I don't understand why it's doing this, as I now have to use linework to clean up that joint in every view where it shows. It's not so much the line between the 2 materials on the exterior of the wall, but it's the line in the brick wainscot sweeps. Everywhere else is fine (other than me having to manually align vertical brick joints along the length of the sweep, no big deal) except at this one spot.

I guess I could call that a control joint location :lol:

gwnelson
2009-08-21, 08:10 PM
Turn off Common Edges in VG?

patricks
2009-08-24, 08:15 PM
Turn off Common Edges in VG?

Nope, doesn't work. Linework seems to be the only solution, which I hate, because linework never seems to "stick" like it should.

wmullett
2009-08-24, 08:33 PM
Phase problem?

And did you cut a section and align the walls?

patricks
2009-08-24, 08:38 PM
In plan they are exactly aligned with thin lines turned on. I simply split a wall and changed one piece to a different type, and both types are exactly the same except for the outer finish layer's material. The brick sweeps are exactly the same in both wall types.

jlinger
2009-08-24, 09:38 PM
Could they have different Structural usages? One Bearing, one Non-Bearing?

jtobin.68416
2009-08-24, 09:55 PM
I've had this happen when two otherwise identical walls had different coarse scale fills. It only happens in coarse mode, but I don't know if you're in fine mode or not.

patricks
2009-08-25, 12:17 PM
Could they have different Structural usages? One Bearing, one Non-Bearing?

Nope, all I did was split the wall and change the type. It joins up just fine in plan on both ends of the split wall, and in elevation it looks fine on one end, it's just the other end that won't get rid of the line in my brick sweeps.

I've had this happen when two otherwise identical walls had different coarse scale fills. It only happens in coarse mode, but I don't know if you're in fine mode or not.

Nope, my problem is in elevation, which is set to Medium anyway.

patricks
2009-08-25, 12:20 PM
Here's the wall in question. The middle piece is joined to the pieces on either side, yet the line in the brick sweeps still remain. Even in plan there are no lines in the main wall layers between each piece of wall. It's ONLY in the sweeps where the line occurs.

wmullett
2009-08-25, 12:21 PM
Originally, you said the problem was a line in the wall and now you say it is a line in your sweeps. Which is it? Are the sweeps added or part of the wall definition?

jsteinhauer
2009-08-25, 12:22 PM
Nope, all I did was split the wall and change the type. It joins up just fine in plan on both ends of the split wall, and in elevation it looks fine on one end, it's just the other end that won't get rid of the line in my brick sweeps.

Nope, my problem is in elevation, which is set to Medium anyway.

I can't reproduce your issue. Can you please post a screen capture?

Thanks,
Jeff S.

Andre Carvalho
2009-08-25, 12:28 PM
Patrick,

Try cutting one of the walls (or maybe even both) to the clipboard by using CTRL X and then pasting aligned to curent view or same place. I've got "problematic" walls to join by using this trick.

Hopefuly works for you as well.

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2009-08-25, 12:35 PM
Patrick,

Try cutting one of the walls (or maybe even both) to the clipboard by using CTRL X and then pasting aligned to curent view or same place. I've got "problematic" walls to join by using this trick.

Hopefuly works for you as well.

Andre Carvalho

I did just that when I made the file I posted above. Now I've got lines in the sweeps on both ends of the wall piece in that file, whereas it's only on one end in my actual project file.

jsteinhauer
2009-08-25, 12:41 PM
Here's the wall in question. The middle piece is joined to the pieces on either side, yet the line in the brick sweeps still remain. Even in plan there are no lines in the main wall layers between each piece of wall. It's ONLY in the sweeps where the line occurs.

I'm not really sure as to why this is happening. But, my suggestion would be to model the brick as a separate wall. I'll keep plugging away at it today and hopefully will find something.

Jeff S.

jsteinhauer
2009-08-25, 01:00 PM
Here is your wall back with my suggestions.

Jeff S.

patricks
2009-08-25, 03:11 PM
That does look better, I just hate having to do separate walls for that wainscot.

You can even see in the file I posted the other pieces of wall on each end do not show any lines in the sweeps. Why it's only the middle piece is baffling.

jsteinhauer
2009-08-25, 03:43 PM
That does look better, I just hate having to do separate walls for that wainscot.

You can even see in the file I posted the other pieces of wall on each end do not show any lines in the sweeps. Why it's only the middle piece is baffling.

Very strange. Someone who knows better then me can probably answer it. I primarily do large commercial projects, but have just finished a personal residential project for a family member. I used the stance that all of my framing would be similar, and it was just the finishes that would differ. On the exterior walls, I used the method I posted for you earlier. It allowed me to do several things I couldn't do if the wall was all in one. First off, I could control the height of the exterior finish materials. Secondly, I could schedule my walls by cost for framing and then by materials. Lastly, if I changed the material thickness from lets say stone to siding. It wouldn't shift all of my exterior framing walls around.

Best of luck to you, and sorry I couldn't help solve this issue.

Jeff S.

patricks
2009-08-25, 08:39 PM
We nearly always keep wall loc lines set to reference the core (face of core for exterior walls, center of core for interior) for the very reason that if finish thicknesses change, it won't change the position of the wall's structural layer.