PDA

View Full Version : Office Revit Template Updates

techsupport.161645
2009-08-24, 03:57 PM
I am curious to know how others using Revit are handling updates to their project template and getting those updates transfered to existing projects?

We are in our early stages of using Revit so our base template continues to be updated and modified on a regular basis.

With a few on going projects we have made some extensive updates to the template since those project got underway, like, changes to various schedules, door types, and different shared parameters.

I know their is the "Transfer Project Standards" which work for most items, but for example, a change to a door scheudle to add a field, how are others handling getting the new information out to existing proejcts?

I have been trying to keep a log and version number as to what has been changed in the template, but their does not seen to be an easy way to update certain things within existing revit project.

Just would like to know how others are approaching this?

Thank You

wmullett
2009-08-24, 04:06 PM
To change a schedule like you are suggesting, just copy/paste from your template to your project... may have to rename the schedule in your project or just delete it. Same thing with door types - might want to name the old ones...xxx-old then just select all and change to the new door type.

Changing shared parameters has to be looked at on an individual basis... If you are just changing names then the benefit may not be there.

jsteinhauer
2009-08-24, 05:55 PM
We are taking the stance that a new project starts with the template in whatever condition the template is in at that point in time. If something major changes in our template, we might try to 'Transfer Project Standards' to the new project, or just have someone recreate it in the project. I think the last thing we would do is to open a new project from the template then cut & paste.

For parameters, make sure you are using ONE shared parameters file for your office/template. This will make adding those newer parameters much easier to existing projects.

Mostly, we've been finding out interesting things on projects then incorporating those into the template. This is kind of limited, because if someone from our Revit steering committee is not on the project, it is less likely to get back to us, to be implemented in the template. It would be interesting to get our project teams together to see who they're doing things.

Best of luck,

Jeff S.

jcoe
2009-08-25, 05:06 PM
I know their is the "Transfer Project Standards" which work for most items, but for example, a change to a door scheudle to add a field, how are others handling getting the new information out to existing proejcts?

From a schedule standpoint, I will typically remove the schedule from the project and use the "Insert from file>Views" tool and select the schedule(s) from out master project file. This eliminates the whole renaming of schedules...and because the door information is part of the actual door family and not the schedule, the newly imported schedule will be populated with the door information.