PDA

View Full Version : editing a linked toposurface, how can i do it?

the_gibson
2009-08-25, 06:00 AM
i'm pretty new to this and was trying to work out the best way of dealing with topography in a project. at the moment we have the topo linked into the building model to help keep everything streamlined.

we would like to be able to do the graded region while still being able to see the building. the problem is at the moment we can only edit the topo in its original file with no building visible which is a bit like working blind.

is there a way to do edit a linked in topo surface while still having the building visible? should i maybe have the building linked into the topo instead? how does everyone else do this?

thanks

PaulB
2009-08-25, 07:39 AM
Link the building into the topo as well as linking the topo into the building

patricks
2009-08-25, 08:52 PM
More specifically, you need to link your topo into your building model, get it positioned correctly under the building, and then acquire coordinates from the topo model. Then back in the topo model, link in the building file by shared coordinates, and the building will appear exactly where it should be.

Andre Carvalho
2009-08-25, 10:20 PM
On top of linking building and site files into each other, I like opening a second Revit instance to edit the site file, so I can keep both open and editable and don't need to close one to edit the other.

Andre Carvalho

davidcobi
2009-08-25, 11:19 PM
Also, make sure that when you are editing your topography/graded regions you "close hidden windows." If you have a lot of views open during editing, that can severely slow topo editing.

the_gibson
2009-08-25, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the tips, thats exactly what i wanted. now i just have to get my head around shared co-ordinates.