PDA

View Full Version : freeform massingg question

rupertv
2009-08-26, 11:01 AM
Hi guys,

Been a very long time (around 9 months to be exact) since I've had a chance to work in Revit so my question might seem very late but here goes...

I might be missing something but how do you actually use the new freeform massing tools to generate curtain walls / glazed facades? I'm getting a handle on the new tools but I don't have the foggiest of how to keep the new funky form when i have to switch off massing...I can't get a curtain wall to use the new patterns...nothing...

So please...someone point me in the right direction...or am I just being completely stupid???

Cheers...

cliff collins
2009-08-26, 12:54 PM
Open a Conceptual Mass Family template.

Create a new Mass, save-as with new name.

Then load it into your project. Make sure Mass is turned on in Visibility Graphics.

Then, pick one of the faces, and convert to curtain system.

Does that help?

cheers.....

nole
2009-08-27, 07:23 AM
Maybe rupertv wanted to know about divided surfaces and Curtain panels by pattern?

stan.ciesielski
2009-10-19, 02:42 PM
Hello,
I came up to a similar point - I created fancy conceptual mass, divided one of its surfaces, loaded it into my project - and what I want to do now is to create curtain system based on that particular divided surface, so the grid of curtain system reflects the way the surface was divided.
I know - lots of dividing :) - hope it makes sense.
cheers,
St.

sbrown
2009-10-19, 02:45 PM
You place the panel in the conceptual mass family. Not in the project now. if you are planing on using the "old" curtain system by face,then you don't divide the surface in the conceptual mass family.

jeffh
2009-10-19, 03:24 PM
Here is a link to some video showing how to use the new massing tools to create forms and create and apply panels to the forms.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13709407&linkID=9243097

stan.ciesielski
2009-10-20, 10:10 AM
thanks for the replies guys,
Case is: If I spend some time on my conceptual project, bend some surfaces, add some panels etc. and now it is not possibile to reuse this geometry for creating curtain system in my project, as it is with wall/floor/roof by face tool... this looks like a gap in funtionality to me.
What do you think? (I'm not a rebel trying to spoil everybody's day - I'm just curious about other people opinions)

regards,
St.

sbrown
2009-10-20, 12:36 PM
Stan you are missing the idea that the panel is now created in the mass family, then the whole "skin" is loaded into your project.

jeffh
2009-10-20, 01:05 PM
Stan you are missing the idea that the panel is now created in the mass family, then the whole "skin" is loaded into your project.

Correct, once you apply conceptual pannels to the massing you load this family into a project. The conceptual panels ARE the finished model. You can still schedule them and everything. Build the remainder of the project as you normally would in Revit.