PDA

View Full Version : Phase, Options & Partial Demolition

barrie.sharp
2009-08-26, 11:43 AM
Would love to hear from people who use all three. I'm trying to understand best practice. For the most part I end up copying most existing parts to the new phase and adding most elements to each design each design option.

My dilema is, although you could have an entire copy of a model for each phase/option (which presents no issues when editing), it seems unBIM like. I pretty sure model sizes increase too!

Example Problem: You have a room with skirting (wall sweep) and in one option you will add a window. You can't insert a window in an element in the main model so I try to add the wall to the design option. But the sweep gets upset so I end up moving the other walls and the sweep to the design option plus anything else affiliated. Now I've pretty much copied the whole room over.

Partial demo drives me made with wall join conditions and the like and it get particularly crazy when design options are arguing over a join. Sometimes I end up with a wall with a little gap or notch missing.

Let me know your thoughts :beer:

patricks
2009-08-26, 11:52 AM
For the most part when I have a new wall adjoining an existing wall, I disable joins on the new wall so that it just sits at the face of the existing wall (or wherever I need it) without disturbing the existing condition.

You might also consider disabling joins at the ends of walls that get demolished.

barrie.sharp
2009-08-26, 02:29 PM
I have tried that aproach but the finishes don't return on a perpendicular join. You want the plaster to finish the end.