PDA

View Full Version : Railing host to stairs issue

cdatechguy
2009-08-26, 05:13 PM
It seems that railing doesn't like hosting to stairs if the railing centerline is above the stringer? Using 2k9...updated all my stairs to have a wider stringer and now all my rails have gone flat.

Am I missing something or does handrails just not host to stairs if the rail sketchline is outside the stair sketchline?

For now I am going to adjust the heights custom, but it would go a lot quicker if the stringer was included in the overall "Host" of the stairs.

patricks
2009-08-26, 05:54 PM
I think it's usually best to keep the railing sketch line on the edge of the stairs and use the baluster and rail offsets to get it over the stringer if that's where you need it.

Steve_Stafford
2009-08-26, 10:19 PM
The stock railings and stairs use an offset value to shift the baluster and railing geometry over so that they don't get created beyond the stair geometry. If the sketch moves outside the overall extent of the stair including the boundary/stringer, keep in mind they are still there even if they are NOT visible, then the railing fails to follow the stair slope.

Keep this offset in mind as you design a new railing stair. The offset should be equal to half the width of the railing/baluster to keep it centered over a stringer, if the sketch follows the outer edge of the boundary/stringer, in the correct location or offset more to move the railing in toward the stair centerline when a boundary/stringer isn't visible.

cdatechguy
2009-08-26, 10:54 PM
Any idea why, when I create my rail using no host and custom heights, the railing is half visible and half hidden line below the view cut. Everything above the cut plane shows up hidden like it should.

Steve_Stafford
2009-08-27, 04:47 AM
We'd need to see a couple images, plan and elevation for example and settings or a small sample file??

cdatechguy
2009-09-03, 04:49 PM
I wound up creating a railing for each situation instead so the railing sketch line would host to the stair line. Then it worked just fine having a host.

If I try again later I'll post some screen shots.