PDA

View Full Version : Mono-Pitch Roof Tilting

beton
2009-08-26, 07:03 PM
I have a radius wall where I have to attach a mono-pitch roof. On the foot print there is a inside arc that attaches to the main wall, an outside arc that is proportionally larger than the inside arc where the ends of both arcs line up to the center point of the arcs (similar to a trapezoid with 2 legs tilting in). The pitch is set only at the bottom leg to 1"/12". After the roof is created the starting leg stays parallel to the ground but the other side is tilted where the outside arc is on a higher elevation than the inside one.

If I draw a footprint where the 2 legs are parallel to one another the roof stays flat to the ground. It seems that the pitch is being followed along the outside arc that is longer than the inside one and it keeps going up. Is there a way to make it level?

cliff collins
2009-08-26, 07:15 PM
Make sure that "defines slope" is not checked for any one of the sketch lines.

Also, try attaching the roof to the walls below.

Other wise, you could try modeling the roof at Level One ( on the ground plane )
and then moving it up and attaching it.

Just thinking out loud....not sure this is what you are after?

cheers......

Steve_Stafford
2009-08-26, 08:59 PM
Is this what you are after?

Steve_Stafford
2009-08-26, 09:06 PM
Or is this what you are after? This is using Shape Editing while the previous uses a slope arrow. This roof form is warped while the previous is a flat roof pitched. Imagine it is built on the ground, lifted and tilted into place. The warped form would require the framing to follow different wall plate and sill plate paths/elevations and each rafter will have its own pitch.

beton
2009-08-26, 10:59 PM
Steve,

The second version will work. As you can see, the first method was pitching that upper corner way above the level line. It might look good but it's definitively not practical to have it slope towards the building.

I have already built it and I'm just trying to have it as a 3D model. The frames did freak out so I had to do it myself. Had to go out at night so that I can shoot a slanted laser line across the main curved wall, after that it was easy, the rafters were set level and they just followed the line on the wall and were directed to the center. It did require some tweaking to make the front edge look perfect.

Thanks for the info !!!

Steve_Stafford
2009-08-26, 11:20 PM
Glad it helped. I can see with the 1/12 pitch that the rafters could more or less follow the rise like a set of stairs would, or at least the warp isn't very exaggerated with the shallow pitch.

beton
2009-08-27, 02:58 AM
Maybe some of the Autodesk's so called Revit techs could learn a thing or two from you.

iamreavis
2009-08-27, 12:51 PM
Could you post pics of the finished roof?

beton
2009-08-27, 03:58 PM
Here it is. I don't have the latest photos but there is a facial board on there now that drops 1 1/2" below the bottom edge making it a little thicker. I made the steel support posts go up pass the roof line and they are at different height. When I was working on the initial drawings I had the post lines in there sort of at a temporary height and after trimming it down to the roof like I realized that they look better sticking up. They also need to be wrapped with some 6" dia. material and the bases need to be finished.

BTW If anyone out there is hiring, I'm game, sitting at home doing nothing.