PDA

View Full Version : Linking + design options

xiqx
2009-08-28, 01:47 PM
Hi,

I have a site plan into which I am linking another rvt file. The rvt file is a model of a house. This model has two designoptions it it. There are several instances of the house in the site model. Is it possible for each instance to show either one of the two design options?

and ofcourse next question if the previous is possible can I also make combinations per instance which design option should be visible.

thanks

wmullett
2009-08-28, 02:08 PM
You can make multiple views and control what options show by VG in each view for the main model and for any design options in the linked model.

twiceroadsfool
2009-08-28, 02:22 PM
In the Site Plans VG, click on the RVT Links tab. If you have multiple instances of the same link, it will have a plus sign on the left. If you expand the plus, you can then switch each instance to "Custom" instead of By Host View, and when you click on custom it will give you the VG dialogue of that linked file, to select the Design Options.

You can then use a view template to make the same settings populate a bunch of views (all of the site files views).

xiqx
2009-08-31, 07:33 AM
@ twice

thanks works like a charm!

odd that you have to cut something paste it to the same place to take it out of an option set

xiqx
2009-08-31, 12:02 PM
Oh boy,

I just found out that there is a difference between th regular 3D views and Camera views.

If I apply the mention viewtemplate, created from a regular 3D, view on a camera view, the visibility settings for the linked files are not applied.

You have to set up camera's in the linked file with the wanted design options.

that's a nice recipe for errors.

just be aware

twiceroadsfool
2009-08-31, 12:11 PM
Oh boy,

I just found out that there is a difference between th regular 3D views and Camera views.

If I apply the mention viewtemplate, created from a regular 3D, view on a camera view, the visibility settings for the linked files are not applied.

You have to set up camera's in the linked file with the wanted design options.

that's a nice recipe for errors.

just be aware

You dont need cameras in the Linked View... In fact, something is strange there. Because ive used the same VT that i used on the default 3D View. Are you sure you didnt specify a setting in the VT that doesnt exist in camera views, like Scale?

xiqx
2009-08-31, 01:13 PM
image 31-8-2009 15-03-16.png = the camera
31-8-2009 15-04-17.png = a rgular 3D

At this moment I can only link to a camera from a camera view and from a regular 3D to a regular 3D. I think I checked the most obvious settings.

I hope the images help a bit

twiceroadsfool
2009-08-31, 02:53 PM
I wouldnt be using By Linked View for it. I would be using a View Template to Alter the Design Options tab to show the correct Options. That would explain why its not working for you...

xiqx
2009-09-01, 06:16 AM
Yes that works! Thanks

But isn't it odd. I should essentially be the same.

They both are the rvt link display Settings

on second note the screens are right but the view doesn't update yet. I'll look into it a bit further. ( I already tried re applying the viewtemplate)

twiceroadsfool
2009-09-01, 11:56 AM
Yes that works! Thanks

But isn't it odd. I should essentially be the same.

They both are the rvt link display Settings

on second note the screens are right but the view doesn't update yet. I'll look into it a bit further. ( I already tried re applying the viewtemplate)

They are NOT the same thing. "By Linked View" means show EXACTLY that view from the linked project, meaning whatever design options are set to visible in that view, whatever annotations are shown, whatever catagories are on/off in VG, etc. HUGELY different, especially when you get in to Plans/Elevations/Sections, etc.

Use the VG:RVT Link : Custom : Design Option tab, and FORGET about By Linked View, unless youre working on getting Linked Annotations in from the linked model.

xiqx
2009-09-01, 02:36 PM
oh daft, now I see what you mean...

ah that works better!

thanks mate.

twiceroadsfool
2009-09-01, 02:54 PM
Thats what this place is about. :)

Glad you got it working. Links + Design Options + View Templates = Revit after my own heart...

xiqx
2009-09-02, 06:37 AM
I am glad I got it to work, with your help, but somehow I think it would be nice if designoptions became part of the element properties of a Revit link.

I noticed that if I copy a link, that has the design option set, it reverts back to the primary.

thanks again for the help

twiceroadsfool
2009-09-02, 12:12 PM
I am glad I got it to work, with your help, but somehow I think it would be nice if designoptions became part of the element properties of a Revit link.

I noticed that if I copy a link, that has the design option set, it reverts back to the primary.

thanks again for the help

I originally felt that way too, about Linked files only being one option or the other, and not view specific. But, that would contradict the way Design options work in individual projects, which could make Links and Design Options not viable together. For instance... If im two a campus with three buildings, and my drawings are in Bldg 1, and Bldg 3 has 2 potential options for the cafeteria, i need to be able to show Cafeterias two options, in the views in Bldg 1. So it HAS to be a view specific thing, even across Linked Files.

It did catch me off guard though.

xiqx
2009-09-02, 02:49 PM
Good point hadn't thought of that.

It just struck me that if I compared design options to regular families it seems that families give me more control. I was almost considering making a house a familie. But thought better of it.

How do you handle things like a design options needs to cut a whole in a wall. So far I often ended up adding the wall as well to an option. I noticed so far that often I then run in to problems with the wall joins.

twiceroadsfool
2009-09-02, 03:43 PM
Familes and Design Options control entirely different things. Im not sure what you mean by "families give you more control." Also, Walls/roofs/ceilings/etc are all system families, and cant "techincally" go inside families. Even when they do, theyre not the same as system families.

Adding an opening to a wall, of course youll have to add the wall. The wall is changing. :)

Wall joins... I guess it dpeends what youre trying to do and what youre having troubles with?

xiqx
2009-09-03, 02:52 PM
Adding an opening to a wall, of course youll have to add the wall. The wall is changing. :)

I know the wall changes but it only get's an opening. Just like when you regularly add a door it greats the opening. Suddenly with a design option it doesn't know how to do it. Whether it should be cut is a matter of what the view is set to show. Yes or no design option so yes or no cut. But that probably something you can argue about.

twiceroadsfool
2009-09-03, 03:10 PM
I see what youre sayin, just not sure what answer youre looking for. I guess add the wall or dont use design options? lol... :)

cbaze
2009-10-16, 01:46 AM
One BIG problem we didn't initially forsee with this method is that it renders clash detections useless for linked design options other than primary. If you work for a contractor or are turning over the model to a contractor, I would recommend AGAINST using links and design options together.