PDA

View Full Version : Railings: Is it possible to host the railing to the center of a steel stair stringer?

lauraannegorden
2009-08-31, 02:04 PM
I need my railing to center on the steel stair stringer. When I try to do this, the railing does not remain tied to the stair, but aligns to the floor level below!

cliff collins
2009-08-31, 02:25 PM
You can "re-host" the railing to the stair, so it will slope.

Assuming Revit 2010--Select the railing, then Edit Path. Select "Set Railing Host"
and pick the stair. Finish editing the sketch.

Does this help?

cheers......

Steve_Stafford
2009-08-31, 03:20 PM
If you look closely at the properties of the railing and its components you'll find that each baluster and railing has a thickness, naturally. The railing properties moves the railing over to adjust for the thickness of these parts. Each baluster and railing usually is adjusted too. The sketch defines the path the railing will follow but the offset values define where the parts are located relative to the path.

TjonesCESO
2009-08-31, 09:04 PM
The railing sketch line must be on the stair itself not on the stringer. Revit doesn't seem to count the stringer as being part of the stair with regard to the sketch line. Use the offset values to align your railing over the stringer.

lauraannegorden
2009-09-01, 04:15 PM
I tried using the offset settings, both in the Baluster Offset box and in the Baluster Placement dialog box. I've tried different dimensions and nothing moves that railing in plan.
Please let me know if there's something I'm missing. Otherwise, I'm just going to hide the @!#$ railing in each stair plan view and draw filled regions. :(

cliff collins
2009-09-01, 04:24 PM
Please post an example and we'll see if we can make it do what you need.
Also provide very explicit desciption of exactly what you are trying to do.

cheers.......

gwnelson
2009-09-01, 06:30 PM
Too bad there isn't complete graphical functionality when designing stairs & railings.