PDA

View Full Version : Trouble picking items?

eeblack
2009-09-01, 07:48 PM
Does anyone else have difficulties when picking items in Revit?

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to select an item or an alignment face and I'm hovering over the correct spot, but a fraction of a second after I've started to click the mouse button, (but before the actual click registers) I see the wrong item highlighted and I know I'm wasting time and effort.

It's that same feeling of dread you get when you realize (just after the car door leaves your fingertips, but before the door is shut and locked) that you just locked your keys in the car.

Is there a sensitivity setting?

cliff collins
2009-09-01, 08:00 PM
Try using the tab key to cycle through the items for selection.

Also, try turning off a lot of "other stuff" around the object with the sunglasses tool
to hide them temporarily, or use View templates to automatically only have on the most basic things you need in the view.

I have never seen a "sensitivity" setting--maybe in the API?

cheers.......

eeblack
2009-09-01, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I know about the tab key cycling through the choices. It's just when I seem most certain that I have the right element that Revit decides to have some fun with me.

Your suggestion of temporarily hiding items sounds like it's less efficient than undoing and redoing again, especially with large projects that take a while to update their views.

It's a minor frustration that happens too often, in my opinion.

cliff collins
2009-09-01, 08:35 PM
How much "stuff" is turned on in those troublesome views?

Are you using View Templates to only have turned on what should be on in those views?
Or are all categories turned on? I see this very often, and have trouble with users
complaining about not being able to select things.......

The sunglasses tool works very fast--select items individually or by category,
and with one click you can set it back to unhide all. So, that is actually very efficient.

The situation above, where View Templates are not used, all categories are on, and users are spending wated time not "being able to pick stuff" is inefficient and slows projects and users down.

Just my 2 c worth.

cheers.....................