PDA

View Full Version : identify origin

Bryan Thatcher
2009-09-02, 08:10 PM
how do you identify the origin of a project. As in Auto - Origin to Origin. Thanks.

cliff collins
2009-09-02, 08:26 PM
check here:

http://designreform.net/2009/07/09/revit-architecture-2010-2009-explained-coordinate-systems-side-by-side/

cheers....

timothy.bungert
2009-09-02, 08:33 PM
In a floor plan or site plan, go to Visibility/Graphics. Under the "Site" category you will find two unchecked boxes next to Site Survey Point and Project Base Point. Check both boxes. Provided that you have not changed the Shared Coordinates of the project, the point at which both of these two objects are visible in your view marks the Origin of Revit's internal coordinates.

cliff collins
2009-09-02, 08:40 PM
I think bryan is using Revit 2009, which is why I pointed him to the side-by-side comparison w/ 2010............

cheers.

Bryan Thatcher
2009-09-03, 12:56 PM
yes, this sounds like it would be much easier in 2010. I watched the video and thought I had it figured out. Why when I link the revit model from the image origin1 into the revit model in the other image with Auto - Origin to Origin it doesn't come in lined up? The two images show the exact same corner of the building. How can I get them to line up, thanks.

robert.manna
2009-09-03, 01:16 PM
A very easy approach to determining where you origin is. Is to create a DWG, draw an "X" with two lines where the intersection of the "X" is the 0,0,0 of the CAD file. Link the CAD file to your Revit file by origin. You can then snap to the CAD geometry with Revit geometry. Our project template as model lines grouped and pinned that locate Revit's origin by default. This has proven useful at various times.

-R

Bryan Thatcher
2009-09-03, 02:09 PM
OK, that was very helpful. The origin in the structural file is 0,0. The origin in the architectural model is not. But they are coming together in relive locations to the origin. How do I change the origin in my structural model? Thank you.

robert.manna
2009-09-03, 02:14 PM
You cannot modify Revit's "world origin" for lack of a better term. You can move your project relative to the "location" coordinate system. You're best bet will likely be to link the model together, located one relative to the other correctly by moving the link, then "adopting" shared coordinates from the Linked Arch model. Someone else may have a better approach or a better explanation. Coordinate systems always make my head hurt, and while the new "points" in 2010 make things "easier" to see I'm not really convinced that it makes it easier to understand.

You can always experiment with some "test files" to sort out coordiantes for yourself, then apply what you learn to your project files.

-R