PDA

View Full Version : Can you keynote a repeating detail

mthurnauer
2009-09-02, 08:39 PM
I have tried and I cannot add a keynote to a repeating detail. This seems surprising. I am in RAC2009. Am I missing something?

cliff collins
2009-09-02, 08:46 PM
Short answer: No.

Long answer:

You can "fool" it into tagging by placing and locking an invisible line to the
detail component which is included in the repeating detail.

The "line" has the information in it that the tag picks up.

We did this many years ago, around release 7 or 8--for wall sections.

My description may not be spot on, but the procedure went something like
that and it worked--another "workaround" which still has not been addressed
( as far as I know.)

cheers...........

jeffh
2009-09-03, 01:19 PM
You can also use the detail element used to create the repeating detail and place 1 instance of it directly "on top" of the matching element in the repeating detail. I typically use that one rather than the invisible line.

cliff collins
2009-09-03, 03:53 PM
Jeff,

Great until the wall moves. This band-aid solution stuff has been going on now for several releases. We need better ability to tag repeating details. Why is it so hard to write that into the software?

Try chasing 20 sheets of wall sections and details around with either the invisible line or "piggyback" method.

I'm sure there's probably another "workaround" to "lock" the piggybacked detail component
to the wall or repeating detail ( maybe ) but this is really a poor solution.

Enough ranting.........

Happy Holiday weekend!

t1.shep
2010-03-18, 06:32 PM
What are people's thoughts on just using the "Keynote- User" for things like this? Granted they won't move when the element moves, but then you'll only be chasing the keynote around, and not the details...What are the other downsides to using the User keynote? I've been doing this to keynote elements in a linked file as well, and hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot...

IamIan33
2013-09-20, 08:48 PM
Cliff - you contributed the idea of embedding an invisible line into the detail component in order to keynote ... can you describe how you did this? I have tried it but I must be missing something because I cannot Keynote (Element or Material) my repeating detail at all. Ian

dhurtubise
2013-09-23, 06:48 AM
Just create a repeating detail family with a simple detail component family yourself. There's a template called Detail Item line based, that one you can keynote