PDA

View Full Version : Circular Chain ( was Error )

cgrover
2004-11-10, 05:51 PM
I'm getting an error that reads "There is a circular chain of references among the highlighted elements." The program is highlighting 3 walls. It appears the reference pertains to a wall sweep I have a part of the wall. I get the error as I try to move a door or window in the wall. Anyone have a suggestion to get around this error?

Thanks,
grover

aaronrumple
2004-11-10, 06:29 PM
I'm getting an error that reads "There is a circular chain of references among the highlighted elements." The program is highlighting 3 walls. It appears the reference pertains to a wall sweep I have a part of the wall. I get the error as I try to move a door or window in the wall. Anyone have a suggestion to get around this error?

Thanks,
grover

No. Probably the walls. If A is constrained to B and B is constrained to C. You'll get an error when you try to constrain A to C.

One way to delete the constraint is to cut the object to the clipboard and paste it back in to the same place. This will break constraints you can't track down.

Scott Hopkins
2004-11-10, 06:32 PM
1) To determine which wall is the culprit, delete the walls one at a time and then try moving one of the windows or doors.

2) Once you figure out which is the problem wall, undo the deletes so that you don't lose any work.

3) Highlight the problem wall and cut to the clipboard. Past the problem wall back into the model.

cgrover
2004-11-11, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the help, your suggestions did the trick.

grover

Parkinson
2004-11-11, 10:36 AM
To change course a tad, I am getting this same error when trying to edit a main roof where I have created dormer openings to three dormer windows within it.

If I delete the dormer openings I overcome this Circular Chain and am able to edit the main roof.

However, I have to go to the trouble of deleting and re-creating the dormer openings again every time I want to edit the main roof, which is a slight (huge) pain.

I think this is a gripe rather than a request for help or perhaps I am asking the factory to have a look into this.

tamas
2004-11-11, 04:33 PM
Please send in your model to Revit support. We will take a look at it.

I am sure you understand that the complex dependencies between Revit objects may create occassional conflicts. When we set them up, we try to avoid these circles as much as possible. But creative users always come up with new scenarios we have not considered ;-).

Tamas

Parkinson
2004-11-12, 03:47 AM
Thankyou Tamas, will do.

Regards

Parkinson
2004-11-14, 09:21 AM
Thank you Tamas and Support for v. fast response.

(For others; problem was in dodgy skylight I had made and inserted that had caused circular chain. I had forgotten about this hosted element.)

tamas
2004-11-14, 02:35 PM
It is our pleasure.

There was, in fact, a bug in the way we determined dependencies for this roof with skylight and dormers. You can expect a fix shortly.

Tamas