PDA

View Full Version : Area schemes in Revit

Joseph TVM
2009-09-05, 03:13 PM
Hi..

I deal with drawings of customers who stress more upon the room areas so as to use these drawings for space management. Actually what we do now is, we use Autocad and use the polyline facility for creating boundaries of rooms which is too much time consuming. I ve used revit and have seen that the areas are available quite quickly using rooms and areas. But what I want to know is can I customize the method of creation of boundaries that revit considers to the way I want it to be so that I can do space management according to the standards that we have set for gross and rentable areas. Please do consider this query as it would be quite useful for me in case I am able to do these in Revit.....

Joseph Bejoy Babu
Cad Engineer

William Troeak
2009-09-09, 06:14 PM
How do you calculate areas? Let me know and I will do my best to get you on the right track.

Steve_Stafford
2009-09-11, 08:26 PM
Two methods exist in Revit to document area; Rooms and Areas.

A room and its area is defined globally by one of four methods: At Wall Finish, At Wall Center, At Wall Core Layer and At wall core center. All determined by the existence of a wall or room separation line.

Area is a broader, more flexible way to define area in a building. Areas are documented as special plan views according to a specific area scheme.

Consider a shopping mall, think of Area as an individual store or tenant and Rooms as the things defined by the partitions within a tenant's leased space. If that relationship makes sense you have a sense of the application of rooms and areas. Another way to think of them is of a college building with a dozen classrooms for mathematics. Each room is a unique area while an Area can be defined to include all of the classrooms as a single area designated at Mathematics.

Rooms are fast and easy but universal, calculated by the same boundary location. Areas are defined by boundaries that you choose to define yourself. Areas combined with Area Schemes allow you to provide summaries using different assumptions, like gross area versus rentable (stock settings in Revit). Area boundaries can follow walls or be based on boundary lines that you sketch yourself regardless of building elements. The Area tools are the most similar to the polyline technique you are familiar with except that you can schedule the resulting data very easily and have it update dynamically.