PDA

View Full Version : Family Parameters for Structural Items

sstsure
2004-11-10, 07:31 PM
I have been given the assignment to create a family for a metal column/beam combination. It is supposed to be fully adjustable. I have been able to make widths vary and the lengths vary but I can not figure out how to make the angle between the column and the beam adjustable. I have done it manually but this is not acceptable and when the angle is changed I run into a problem with the wall end of the beam top corner sticking out past the outside edge of the column.

Would appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks

aaronrumple
2004-11-10, 08:22 PM
Not one for the novice....

sstsure
2004-11-10, 09:37 PM
Thank you Aaron.

That works perfectly. I tried to figure out exactly how you did it by examining the rfa file. It looked like the angle had to come off a symbolic line but I could not figure out how you made the top end of the column and both ends of the beam change as the angle changed.

Thanks again.

aaronrumple
2004-11-10, 09:47 PM
6 only has ref. planes. A good trick is to use invisible symbolic lines to drive the angles as ref. planes don't like to change angles. All geometry is being driven from the symbolic linework.

7 has ref. lines which will make this a bit simpler, but the concept is the same.

A lot of family creation has to do with knowing when to use extrusions vs. sweeps vs. blends. Using the right shape can really simplify the design.