PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to Bind a Linked File

nsinha73
2009-09-08, 11:15 PM
We are going to use one of the Buildings (8 in total) we used in another campus and want to use it in another similar project. I have managed to extract that entire building with Dimensions and Keynotes and tags and saved it as a standalone file.
Now I have linked it in our Current Project but now want to "Bind" it. Is this a proper approach or shall I just leave it as a link?
Would you guys point out some Pros and Cons of Linking. I'd like to take the best approach

Thanks!

twaldock
2009-09-09, 12:31 AM
I am a big fan of keeping linked files rather than binding them but it does depend on the project - if it is a campus with clearly separate buildings (especially if they have different floor to floor heights) it is logical to keep as a link. BUT thre are a few problems with linked files:
1. You can't tag objects in a linked file
2. View filters don't work across linked files
3. The levels and grids from linked files keep showing up in the master file. this may not be a problem, but if they overlap, it is really hard to crop and control them in the linked file (there are a few tricks but it can be messy).

I have had problems with binding very large linked files - they become groups in the main file, which you can then ungroup. Do a trial run to see how the binding process works on your project - then you'll know what to expect if you change your mind down the track and want to bind the file 2 days before a deadline!

Scott Womack
2009-09-09, 10:21 AM
We are going to use one of the Buildings (8 in total) we used in another campus and want to use it in another similar project. I have managed to extract that entire building with Dimensions and Keynotes and tags and saved it as a standalone file.
Now I have linked it in our Current Project but now want to "Bind" it. Is this a proper approach or shall I just leave it as a link?
Would you guys point out some Pros and Cons of Linking. I'd like to take the best approach

If I am understanding your original basic question:

Please note: There is no way to bring in any non-schedule or non-drafting type views into another project. Binding will wipe this information out completely, and only brings in the Geometry, period.

By linking it in, it is a slightly more complicated work-flow, but all of this information, can, with some added work be salvaged.

Otherwise, you'd need to keep a separate copy of this file, bind in the different copy, recreate all model based sections, details, callouts and elevations, Then from each of these views you can insert from file, 2D information, to get the tags, notes, etc. into the project with the bound copy.