PDA

View Full Version : Plotter name

dzatto
2009-09-09, 02:49 PM
Okay, here's one for you gurus. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

I have several projects done, as well as a few "typical" projects that I start from. We just got a new server and the printers have been renamed. All of my page setups refer to the old names. Is there an easy way to update the printer names in my page setups for each sheet? I could have IT rename the printer to what it was, but he'd rather stay updated. The actual printer name we were using was from about 3 printers ago, so he wants it updated if possible. Any suggestions other than opening each sheet and revising the page setup? Same goes with importing a new one, I'd have to open each sheet to do that right?

david_peterson
2009-09-09, 05:29 PM
We created numbers for our printers by location so we don't care when we get a new one. To answer your question, I know I saw a script around one of these forums that would change or import/save your page set up in a group of drawings. However, I would go with a named page set up in a template. Say 1117-16 for a scaled to fit 11X17 going to printer #16. Do this in a blank drawing, store it local. When you go to publish, use that "Printer Template" drawing to import a page & printer set-up and away you go.
Tell you IT guy that he should fix his printer names to go by a location and not by HP5001_color or what ever he's currently doing. Set up a spread sheet, that links the printer #16 to HP5001_color, since you don't really care who made the printer but weather it's the color printer or the black and white or large format.
Just my 2 cents.

dzatto
2009-09-09, 07:42 PM
I already updated my template for new drawings. I guess I could try importing it into the publich dialogue box. That should work, but that won't actually change my drawings for next time. I'll see about the numbering thing. But if I do that I still have the same problem. Maybe just naming it the old name is the way to go.