PDA

View Full Version : Save V/G override settings for linked models

Bryan Thatcher
2009-09-09, 09:38 PM
Is there a way to save Visibility / Graphic override settings for linked models similar to view templates? Thanks.

dhurtubise
2009-09-09, 11:46 PM
It can be saved within a View Template. But you will need a linked files to create the template.

Bryan Thatcher
2009-09-10, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Do I need to set the model I'm referencing in up the way I want? I'm bringing in a number of models into a large plan. But each time I do I have to set the V/G to customs and fine tune what I want shown. I would like to just select the linked model and set the display to one I've already set up. Can I do this? Thanks.

dhurtubise
2009-09-10, 04:08 PM
In your host model when you setup tou VG for your link files, you can then save that as a view template and apply it to other views.

twiceroadsfool
2009-09-10, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Do I need to set the model I'm referencing in up the way I want? I'm bringing in a number of models into a large plan. But each time I do I have to set the V/G to customs and fine tune what I want shown. I would like to just select the linked model and set the display to one I've already set up. Can I do this? Thanks.

Not really.

You can if its the same stuff (catagories) that are being shown in the Host View, because then the Link is just set to Host View.

If i understand what youre asking, you want to Link in "Model 1" and set up VG to show certain things. Then you want to Link in "Model 2" and set it to the same settings as "Model 1 in this view." Unfortunately, you cannot. Because its not setting up "VG Overrides for Every Linked File" its setting up "VG Overrides for Link: Model 1". Then when you link in Model 2, the "Custom" button is going to "VG Overrides for Link: Model 2."

What Daniel is referring to is that you set up ALL of your Linked Models in ONE view, and then populate THOSE settings to any number of views in your Host File.

But again, if youre setting them all up the SAME, why not just set VG of the actual Host View to that, and set all the links to By Host View (default)? Are there things in the Host Model that you want to show differently? Hack as it may be, consider using two views. One with the Links (set to By Host View, and the HV with the right catagories on and off), then another one that has the VG set to the way the host model needs to show.

Then you just have to deal with draw order on the sheet between the 2 views, but i think its only an issue when you first place them. :)

wmullett
2009-09-10, 05:53 PM
If you are swapping out models, then just do that rather than re-linking. That will preserve your VG settings but nothing element specific. In other words, trick REVIT by just giving it a new path.