PDA

View Full Version : Use Achicad model in Revit

WYSIWYG-BIM
2009-09-10, 02:20 PM
Our new client has their model in Archicad. We use Revit. Can I import Archicad into Revit and be able to use it? Specifically do they have a curtain wall feature like revit?

thanks

cliff collins
2009-09-10, 02:45 PM
Short answer: No.

Long answer:

If you can get them to export to IFC format, you may have some limited use.
You will NOT get true BIM functionality--i.e. there is no magic "Archicad to Revit Converter"

See below for using IFC files in Revit:

Revit Architecture opens Industry Foundation Classes (IFC) based on the latest International Alliance for Interoperability (IAI) IFC 2x3 data exchange standard. (If you open a file that uses an earlier standard [IFC 2x or 2x2], Revit Architecture supports the format and opens it properly.) For information about the IFC file format, see Exporting to Industry Foundation Classes (IFC).

When you open an IFC file, Revit Architecture creates a new file based on the default template. For information about selecting the default template, see Selecting a Template for IFC Files.

You can load your own IFC class mapping files and override the categories and subcategories for IFC objects.

Tip: Make sure you import the geometric data needed for the Revit capability that you plan to use. For more information, see Suitability of Imported Geometry.
To open an IFC file

Click OpenIFC.
In the Open IFC File dialog, navigate to the IFC file to import.
Select the IFC file, and click Open.
Revit Architecture creates a new file based on the default template.

cheers......

mbeham
2009-09-10, 03:04 PM
IFC does work but like he said its not perfect. We worked with a consultant that used archicad for arch while we used revit for MEP and Struct. We used IFC to translate and coordinate but this was not always a 100% Solution. We had issues with the Archicad IFC where curved curtain walls didnt come over properly, some windows were out of place, compond walls didnt join correctly in plan, and other issues that had us use the 3d model and 2D drawings for coordination. For our sheet views we would turn off the 3d model for the most part and use their 2D backgrounds for the images because of the details that didnt come over and joins that didnt work with IFC. So while you can translate it, make sure you compare back and forth to make sure things are in the correct spots.

cdatechguy
2009-09-10, 03:15 PM
You can export the ArchiCAD model as a 3D dwg and bring it into Revit as well.....but you won't be able to modify anything.

BTW....Yes, there is a curtain wall feature, but it works a bit differently than Revit, at least in AC12 there is.
The ability to create a curtain wall with 90degree turns is actually pretty nifty...

owensharp
2009-09-10, 05:11 PM
IFC is the way to go. Some of our engineers are using Revit whilst we use ArchiCAD and we find this works reasonably well. There are a few hiccups here and there. It is mostly the more recent/complex modeling tools or use of tools in shall we say 'creative ways' (aka workarounds) which do not always make it out the other end of the IFC exchange process the way they should. Not many, but it does happen. There are often several ways to achieve the same modelling goal, so if you find certain methods are not exchanging well, you can probably find a way around.

That said we have not really been living on the edge in most of these projects in terms of design and therefore complexity of modelling problems, so there could well be a lot more issues we just have not encountered.

Mike Sealander
2009-09-10, 11:55 PM
I ended up rebuilding a model almost from scratch when I got an IFC file from another firm, but I think it's because they did a really bad job building their ArchiCad model.

m20roxxers
2009-09-11, 03:36 AM
In my experience it depends on how the Architect is creating their model in ArchiCAD, but also how they are exporting it.

The ArchiCAD exporting of models into IFC has alot more options then Revit and depending on the choices they make can blow out a file size by more then 50%.

I also use this in conjunction with Solibri IFC model viewer and IFC Optimiser to clean up the file before use in Revit.

If they build up some of the IFC objects correctly and lower the amount of data with the doors & windows this can come through reasonably clean, but use with caution.

WYSIWYG-BIM
2009-09-18, 02:38 PM
Short answer: No.

Long answer:

If you can get them to export to IFC format, you may have some limited use.
<snip>

Tip: Make sure you import the geometric data needed for the Revit capability that you plan to use. For more information, see Suitability of Imported Geometry.
To open an IFC file

Click OpenIFC.
In the Open IFC File dialog, navigate to the IFC file to import.
Select the IFC file, and click Open.
Revit Architecture creates a new file based on the default template.

cheers......

Thank you. So I read this also in the revit help file but it talks about using IFC as if I was starting a project from scratch using the defualt template. I have a project I've been woring on and now need to import the IFC. Can I do it? Do I specify my existing file instead of the defaul template? I don't see any tool for importing IFC just cad formats.

I appreciate your and anyone else help. thanks.

cliff collins
2009-09-18, 02:46 PM
My gues is you would have to:

1. Open the IFC, then save that as a Revit Project.

2. Link that new Revit project into your current Revit project, and the "bind" it in.

I have not actually done this, but it seems like that should work.

There is no way to "import" an IFC file into a current Revit project that I know of.

cheers......

WYSIWYG-BIM
2009-09-18, 02:51 PM
Thank you Cliff, I will try it and see if it works and let you know. I have not been able to find any other answer so you may just be the trail blazzer on this one!

dhurtubise
2009-09-18, 02:53 PM
Cliff is right about the process. Now dont expect all elements to be "usable" in Revit though.

twiceroadsfool
2009-09-18, 02:56 PM
I would use Cliffs methodology, except i wouldnt Bind it. I would keep it as a Linked file, at that point. Depending on how ArchiCAD's IFC file is constructed on import, you may end up with a lot of ancillary baggage in your native model, if you Bind it.

The IFC files ive pulled in from Tekla and Bentley work great for coordination, documents, and referencing... But when you import them in to the blank Revit File, they bring in a ****-ton of levels, datums, etc. I wouldnt want that stuff cluttering my model up. Id prefer it stay Linked.

crarchitect
2009-10-06, 08:18 PM
Sorry gang, just call me Mr.Thread Hijacker, reporting for duty:

Can anyone MEASURE or DIMENSION an imported IFC in RAC 2010?

The Revit "Structural" model file my client is working with is really a TEKLA Structural model exported to IFC, brought into Revit Architecrure, and linked to the main RAC 2010 file. We can't measure or dimension any of the elements from the structural design. This makes it pretty hard to verify.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone using an IFC to draw details over? That would require the ability to dimension- or even snap to- the imported data.

Thanks in advance!

twiceroadsfool
2009-10-06, 08:20 PM
Ive brought in Tekla to Revit 2010, and i have that model linked in to an Arch model, and i can dimension everything that i should be able too.... (Obviously things skewed at funny angles i cant, etc).

WYSIWYG-BIM
2009-10-08, 06:01 PM
Hyjacking my own thread. Trouble with Elevation markers

So when I linked in the IFC model and the structural native Revit model I have 2 sets of datums/levels. The text, symbology, etc. does not match between the two. Because they are linked files I could not turn the levels off independantly of one another. When I do try to do so it turns them all off from everywhere.

My solution was to open up the IFC/Revit model > turn them off in there > save > reload in to my main model. Still didn't turn off; it made no difference.

Suggestions??

twiceroadsfool
2009-10-08, 06:36 PM
VG : RVT Link : Custom : Annotation : Levels off. Make a View Tempalte, distribute it everywhere.

WYSIWYG-BIM
2009-10-08, 08:58 PM
Thank youi. Advice is logical however I tried that already and when I got to expand that linked file tree I get a 2(<Not Shared>) with a checkbox beside it and that is all the further it expands.

I'm wondering if I missed a step when I imported the IFC into Revit. Mapping perhaps? Can I go back in and map it now or is it too late? Do I need to name the levels something differnt (catagory) in order to turn them not visible??

WYSIWYG-BIM
2009-10-08, 09:04 PM
I should also remark that I have the saem issue of no tree to expand with my linked in native Revit file if that matters.

Bug in Revit?

cliff collins
2009-10-08, 09:24 PM
I think you need to select "Custom" to expose the file tree structure in Revit Links?

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2009-10-09, 12:05 AM
Thank youi. Advice is logical however I tried that already and when I got to expand that linked file tree I get a 2(<Not Shared>) with a checkbox beside it and that is all the further it expands.

I'm wondering if I missed a step when I imported the IFC into Revit. Mapping perhaps? Can I go back in and map it now or is it too late? Do I need to name the levels something differnt (catagory) in order to turn them not visible??

Right, except on the right side of that tree it says "By Host View." Click it and switch it to Custom, and you go in to a whole new VG dialogue...... For the Linked Model. Switch the annotations tab to Custom, and turn off Levels.

studiodd
2009-10-12, 08:41 AM
I also imported a Tekla Xteel IFC into a Revit file and linked it:

- dimensioning goes well
- only problem I have is that I cannot override cut lines (make them thicker) and I do not have fill patterns in the sectioned beams and columns. Anyone have a solution for this? I know how to override (I overrided every category), but it seems like the IFC entities do not allow a fill pattern?

Kind regards,

Ivan