PDA

View Full Version : Overhead lines

grudy
2009-09-11, 01:50 PM
Is any way to use the top of view range in plan view to display items that are above the cutting plane? I have seen this thread http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=7472, which attempted to clear up confusion concerning the view range, but I am still confused about the top of the primary range... Is using the linework tool on an underlay they only way to generate overhead lines? I just want to be able to show beams and slab edges above, but I don't want to use the linework tool, because this means that if we delete and replace objects in the future, we will lose the lines in plan view, perhaps not realizing that we've lost the lines until after we do a test print.

cliff collins
2009-09-11, 02:07 PM
How about an underlay of a set to reflected ceiling view?

Or, place a view of the beams and slabs only on top of the current view?

just a couple of thoughts....

cheers

grudy
2009-09-11, 02:20 PM
Yeah...I've tried the RCP option, but the problem with this is I am having trouble controlling the depth of the RCP. Where does Revit get the information telling it the view range for the RCP Underlay? Does this come from the true RCPs we've generated? Likewise, the cut plane for the RCP becomes an issue. The building we are working on has both staggered levels and walls that change type partway up (office partitions with clerestory windows on top few feet). Therefore, we need to have a lot of control of view depth for our RCP underlays so that we get all of the information, and need to adjust the cut plane for the underlay so that it doesn't display a glass wall within a regular partition.

cliff collins
2009-09-11, 02:33 PM
Perhaps use a Plan Region in a very specific view for the Clerestory condition.

In extereme cases, such as mezzanines, we may introduce a separate Level.
Normally we would not recommend this, but it sometimes is required.
That Level can be placed on its own workset and displayed only when needed.

The "view on top of another view" option also has worked for us in similar cases.

cheers

aaronrumple
2009-09-11, 02:51 PM
Is any way to use the top of view range in plan view to display items that are above the cutting plane? I have seen this thread http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=7472, which attempted to clear up confusion concerning the view range, but I am still confused about the top of the primary range... Is using the linework tool on an underlay they only way to generate overhead lines? I just want to be able to show beams and slab edges above, but I don't want to use the linework tool, because this means that if we delete and replace objects in the future, we will lose the lines in plan view, perhaps not realizing that we've lost the lines until after we do a test print.

The top range ONLY affects a few object types. As the other thread noted, if it isn't a Window, Casework, or Generic Models - then the top range has no affect on plan views of the object.

You can use another technique. Bit of a hack, but it works. Make a second plan. Set this to show only the slab edges and beams and adjust the view range and properties as needed. Make the view a wireframe. Drop this view on the same sheet as the plan. It will align and snap based on the column grids. It is important the order the views are placed on the sheets as they have a front/back relationship set by the order they are placed.

I use this same technique for roof plans shown over floor plans on residential. The good thing is that since you're displaying the real objects - you don't have to worry about updating linework.

grudy
2009-09-11, 03:00 PM
Another thing I've been messing with was to change the beam family so that it has vertical lines that are cut when I draw a plan, creating projected lines on my plans... Is there a way to apply this technique to floor slabs (maybe a sweep of some kind?)?