PDA

View Full Version : 2 Windows or 1?

Mike Sealander
2009-09-12, 01:50 PM
Is this two windows, or one? I'm having a bit of trouble deciding how to model this condition.

jyoungner
2009-09-12, 01:54 PM
It could done either way. If it was me, I would model it as one window unit. First create the window that is seen twice. Then nest it into another window family that has the stone trim and mull between the windows.

mmiles
2009-09-12, 08:34 PM
I assume it is two windows. The stone in between the units typically indicates there is a wall running perpendicular to the windows which separates those windows. However, maybe that is not the case in your project, clearly there is wall between the windows. That would not be a stone faced mullion as it is entirely too wide. I would still make it two windows and consider other ways to deal with the wall in between them - like splitting walls and defining different wall types to account for different materials and thickness.

ron.sanpedro
2009-09-12, 09:14 PM
Is this two windows, or one? I'm having a bit of trouble deciding how to model this condition.

I would be tempted to go with "both". The actual window unit is a family, then nest shared twice in another Window family with the stone surround and mullion modeled. Now you get two windows from a tagging and scheduling standpoint, but one with a guaranteed consistent spacing from a Revit process standpoint. Best o both worlds. ;)

Gordon

Mike Sealander
2009-09-13, 03:38 PM
Thanks for replies.
I'm doing the nested window family thing. I've really never been satisfied with my current repertoire for modeling stone surrounds. In this CMU-backed brick veneer case, the precast surround is in the brick plane, so the Opening object in the window family does not satisfactorily deal with the fact that the CMU opening is smaller than the Brick opening (in elevation).