PDA

View Full Version : Project North and View Rotation

mmiles
2009-09-12, 07:41 PM
in my project, based on Survey information, default plan views open displaying the angle from true north as 0. And, this is where my true north lies. Our project north was established based on how we moved and rotated a building around on the site. In our case, project north ended up being around 11 degrees east of north. We used "manage tab">"project location">position> rotate project north>select a line to rotate.

Now, our building runs primarily from north to south in the long direction (east west in short dimension). The builidng is long and narrow, but with principal views facing west. As such, we want to orientate the plan views to run horizontal on our sheets.

What I have done, on the fly, is place a view on a sheet, then I activated the view and displayed the crop boundary for selection. Then I selected rotate, and set an angle of 90 degrees in the opposite direction that I want the view to rotate on the sheet. Once I do that, it rotates the view - both on the sheet as needed, and as a view. But, what does this do to the project in regard to the project north?

Is there a different way to handle this situation? I thought there was an option to change a view rotation on a sheet that came available when placing a sheet, but I do not have that option while dragging and dropping. Should I make project north 101 degrees east of north (11 + 90)? Or, put another way, should I make east west axis of the building Project North?

nancy.mcclure
2009-09-30, 12:01 AM
Rotating a viewport on a sheet does not affect it's relation to Project North, nor does it affect the original view's working orientation. There are differences to using the view properties of Rotation on Sheet - Limited to 90^ CW or 90^CCw, versus Rotating the Viewport - unlimited in angle positioning, and keeps titlebar and annotations (as possible, always a couple of things seem to wander astray!) in their original orientation to the sheet.

Hope this helps.

patricks
2009-09-30, 02:14 PM
I believe you can just reveal your project and survey base points (hidden by default, use the light bulb) and change your project north orientation directly to 101.xxx degrees. This will make all plan views primarily display the building in a horizontal direction. Then just place your Plan North arrow in the correct direction (probably pointing left on the sheet, I think), and then a True North arrow in the correct direction (101.xxx deg. left of up).

I had to do this recently on a building we drew with the main entrance facing down on the sheet. Then the survey later revealed that main entrance would be closer to up on the site plan oriented to True North. So my project north was over 200 degrees east of True North.

Then later the owner decided to rotate the building 90 degrees, so the building Project North ended up being about 110 degrees east of True North.

Changing the Project North angle directly by clicking on the Project Base Point saved me a lot of headache by allowing me to not redraw any of the building drawings or get tons of errors.