PDA

View Full Version : voids overlaping not possible in a window family?

gaby424
2009-09-13, 06:39 PM
I`m working on a window family where i deleted the default opening and use some voids.
Anyway for several reasons i need to overlap two of the voids(so the voids have a common 3d space to cut from the wall).

When i tried to overlap the voids this error message apear
"Can't make cut-out" with the option to delete element.

Is there a way to avoid this?

If i remember well in generic model families there is no problem with void overlaping that cut the same solid. Is the wall from window family reacting different than a regular solid whan is cuted two times in the same place?

gaby424
2009-09-14, 11:41 AM
i find out what is the problem witdh this error. Only when a edge of one void is in the same plane with the face of the other void. See picture. So i have to avoid this.....Bad news for me.

Mike Sealander
2009-09-14, 11:57 AM
Interesting.

jyoungner
2009-09-14, 12:03 PM
Can you explain in more depth why you have to overlap the voids? It is my understanding that you cannot overlap them in window/door families. I use one void for the stud/cmu part of the wall and then another void for the brick or stone part.

gaby424
2009-09-14, 12:23 PM
Can you explain in more depth why you have to overlap the voids? It is my understanding that you cannot overlap them in window/door families. I use one void for the stud/cmu part of the wall and then another void for the brick or stone part.
becouse i want the sometimes to expand the rectangle void to the other face of the wall (so rectangle void will have the same thickness as wall have) but in the same time the blend void will have zero thickness(not possible) so if i overlaping a little(let say 0.1mm) then the blend void will have 0.1 not zero :)

of course i can expand the bled void out of the wall to avoid zero thicknes but... anyway is complicated not helping me

gaby424
2009-09-14, 05:22 PM
I think i discovered the real reason, i just write here in order to be a useful post when this things happen to others.

I succeded somehow to eliminate the error in my family(for the error situation from picture).My blend wasn`t exactly precisely positionated like in the right situation from the picture. The blend was a little more to the left side relative to rectangle void with about 0.1 millimeter. So for values around this value Revit give this error. If it`s a normal value or if it`s 0(zero) the error not apear.
It`s seems Revit can`t handle this very small distance and give that error.