PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Dimensions

mradikov
2004-11-11, 02:36 PM
AutoCAD has alternative dimensions option (imperial after metric and vise versa) which is pretty handy for dual units countries (Canada)
any idea if it can be done in Revit?

BillyGrey
2004-11-11, 04:34 PM
Hey Mr. Adikov,

From the Settings menu, pick Annotations>Dimensions.
From there you can set a single style, give it a naming convention, assign
parameters, units, etc. Then Duplicate that style with the intention of creating your next desired dimension type, and adjust as ness., then repeat these
steps for each individual dimension style you want.

I would probably do this in a template file I would be using frequently, so you don't have to repeat these steps every time you create a new project.

HTH

Bill

tarch
2004-11-11, 06:40 PM
AutoCAD has alternative dimensions option (imperial after metric and vise versa) which is pretty handy for dual units countries (Canada)
any idea if it can be done in Revit?
Can't be done in Revit. Which company in Toronto is using Revit?

Alek

mradikov
2004-11-11, 08:34 PM
i can do that but i have to double my dimension lines and it will be crowded.
I guess i have to live with that however there are some things AutoCAD does better.

PP. m for martin.

mradikov
2004-11-11, 08:37 PM
Can't be done in Revit. Which company in Toronto is using Revit?

Alek
Me, myself and I.

Joef
2004-11-11, 08:49 PM
The only way I have found to do this is to place two dimensions one over top of the other; one metric, one imperial. You can then relocate the dimension text to suit. You cannot tell that there are two dimensions. A bit laborious, but it works.

PeterJ
2004-11-12, 09:51 AM
Slightly quicker than that is to follow Joe's method but to have your metric style set to place the dim inside and the imperial style set to place the dim outside. It will give you two dimensions centred about the line

Joef
2004-11-12, 02:45 PM
I was going to suggest setting the different dimensions below and above the line but I couldn't recall the dimension setting that would do that.

Steve_Stafford
2004-11-12, 03:09 PM
I was going to suggest setting the different dimensions below and above the line but I couldn't recall the dimension setting that would do that.Since you can switch between metric and imperial units at will...you "could" plot a set using mm or cm as your project units. Plot another with it returned to imperial. This way you can provide a metric and imperial "set" or partial set even. Not necessarily a common or desireable approach but doable and easy (discounting plotting time and paper)