PDA

View Full Version : Nested group as rotatable column tag work-around

phoulx
2009-09-15, 02:58 AM
So instead of being stymied by the lack of rotation options in column tags, I came up with this kludgy work-around.

I created the rfa Structural Column Tag-Right X with a straight line from just right of ref plane intersections along the ref plane at 0 degrees, placed label with column mark & base plate mark straddling this line at 0 degrees.

Then I created rfa Structural Column Tag-Right Y, loaded Structural Column Tag-Right X as a group and lined up the ref planes with each other. Rotated the inserted group 45 degrees, placed dimension at the 45 deg angle (ref plane to ref plane) and attached label "Angle" to it. This is my Family Type "45 deg", other family types are 0, 15, 60, 315 etc.

Sure it doesn't really rotate but at least it gives me options of 0, 15, 45... degrees to set my tag and line to. My question is, will this sort of nested group tag come back to haunt me when I have 100+ columns? In my quick test it seems to work and schedule fine.

captjim
2009-09-22, 09:02 PM
So you can get the text of the tag to display at some angles, what about leaders? (yeah sometimes we need 'em)

Very un-Revit like, but we use a dumb annotation family that we can rotate.

Hello Autodesk . . .

tknapp
2009-10-13, 12:30 PM
I took a different approach . . . . I created a tag on a 45 degree angle, Column callout on top then a line & baseplate type below. Then I mirrored the tags & line accross the the ref. plan left to right, then top to bottom. Then I used instance parameters for the visibility of each so I could control which is on.
Example: top-right, top-left, bottom-right, bottom left