PDA

View Full Version : Storefront Door Legends

nsinha73
2009-09-15, 10:48 PM
How do you guys do your storefront Door Legends?

Scott Womack
2009-09-16, 11:41 AM
How do you guys do your storefront Door Legends?

Do you want to try to be a little more specific?

I lump the door portions of the storefront in with the Door schedule. The sidelight/transom portions, get an elevation of them. In that elevation I manually hide in view the surrounding walls, floors, roofs, etc. so just the framing is showing, and turn off the door catagory. Then we dimension it there, and place curtainwall panel tags on the glazing panels to indicate glass types.

We do create a "working plan" at a different scale, typically 3/8" or 1/2", some such thing, and set the elevations for the curtainwall/storefront systems to not display at less than 3/8" scale so we are not chasing them through-out the other 1/4" and 1/8" plans.

Andre Carvalho
2009-09-16, 12:19 PM
A different approach to what Scott just mentioned above, would be using the phase workaround, where you create two phases before ou after you project's phases, called something like Legend and Legend Demolition and copy your curtain wall there. Generate elevations, tag, dimension and add these views to a drawing sheet.

Don't forget to set the elements to be demolished in the phase Legend Demolition so they don't show/schedule on your project.

I like Scott's idea, though. No need for phases and no need of copying elements between phases.

Andre Carvalho

twiceroadsfool
2009-09-16, 12:20 PM
A different approach to what Scott just mentioned above, would be using the phase workaround, where you create two phases before ou after you project's phases, called something like Legend and Legend Demolition and copy your curtain wall there. Generate elevations, tag, dimension and add these views to a drawing sheet.

Don't forget to set the elements to be demolished in the phase Legend Demolition so they don't show/schedule on your project.

Andre Carvalho

Thats how i do them. I Model Group all of my Storefronts anyway. So then i go in the Annot Phase, and place and elevation, and just run a line of the Model Groups across...

Scott Womack
2009-09-16, 01:48 PM
I like Scott's idea, though. No need for phases and no need of copying elements between phases.

Andre Carvalho

I have used Aaron's method on some of our Housing Projects, where there is a vastly larger amount of repetition. A larger number of our projects are more like that in the image I've attached, where there is very little repetition. This is a Recreation Center for the branch campus of a larger university,and less than 9 mil. Hence the reason I did not use Aaron's method on this project.

twiceroadsfool
2009-09-16, 02:01 PM
Lookin Good Scott. I still gotta get down your way for some dinner. :)

d.stairmand
2009-09-16, 11:58 PM
We generally don't schedule our Curtain Wall Doors in a Door Schedule. As they are within the Curtain Walls - generally the Window Joiner is making them up, & they only need an elevation of them (we just have a specific elevations for doors & windows).

Scott Womack
2009-09-17, 10:20 AM
We generally don't schedule our Curtain Wall Doors in a Door Schedule. As they are within the Curtain Walls - generally the Window Joiner is making them up, & they only need an elevation of them (we just have a specific elevations for doors & windows).

I don't disagree with this approach. Our work tends to be on college campuses. That means exterior doors (Aluminum Storefront/Curtainwall) get electric locksets, sometimes with proximity readers in the locket, and sometimes with remote readers. Once these types of items are specified, (and still need to have manual keys, tied into interior systems) The Aluminum and glass houses won't deal with that level of hardware, and hardware suppliers, which typically supply hollow metal, don't tend to look at purely aluminum sheets. (To top it all off, often we are multiple prime, public bid). The only reliable method to combat this type of issue is to list ALL doors that get a cylinder in the door schedule.

Hence my previous comments. The point is, the circumstances of a given project usually dictate the approach to how these things are shown in what manner. A firms "management" often wants one consistant "standard" for doing these things. Worst case senario usually has to be applied.

ppaige
2010-03-12, 02:27 PM
We do create a "working plan" at a different scale, typically 3/8" or 1/2", some such thing, and set the elevations for the curtainwall/storefront systems to not display at less than 3/8" scale so we are not chasing them through-out the other 1/4" and 1/8" plans.

I've not been able to find this ability with elevation tags. It exists in the element properties of section callouts (which I will use for this technique in a pinch). Is this property for elevations hiding from me somewhere else?

(I didn't know about that tool for sections before - its already made my life easier!)

Scott Womack
2010-03-12, 05:13 PM
I've not been able to find this ability with elevation tags. It exists in the element properties of section callouts (which I will use for this technique in a pinch). Is this property for elevations hiding from me somewhere else?

You have to select the pint of the elevation, not the central symbol. It is then about the 10th line down. There is no way to "preset" an elevation symbols Hide at Corser than parameter. It will always default to the smallest scale.