PDA

View Full Version : Revit freezes at 'Look In' in dialog

iamthecalvin
2009-09-16, 01:52 AM
I appologize for the poor title.

In Revit (and only in Revit) when I click to open a file, load a family, save as, anything that brings up a dialog that allows me to search directories, it freezes. It freezes just by hovering the mouse over the Look In dropdown. It also freezes when I hoover over cancel in the same dialog box. Again, I don't have to actually click, hovering over the button and drop-down causes the freeze.

I have checked whether this happens in other programs (it doesn't), did a fresh install, and had an administrator run as well. All still freeze.

To explain the Look In, it is the name in Revit to the right of the drop-down menu that allows you to navigate to other drives and directories to load or save content.

Ant help appreciated, thanks.

iankids
2009-09-16, 03:22 AM
Haven't heard of this one.

Maybe post the version of Revit & the computer specs - might shed some light - might not :-)

twiceroadsfool
2009-09-16, 12:19 PM
I saw it once when a server went out of comission / wasnt responding and that was the default folder Revit was looking in for Open/Load/save, etc.

What folder does it open by default?

iamthecalvin
2009-09-16, 01:54 PM
Computer Specs:
HP Compaq dc7700 - Intel Core 2 CPU 2.128MHz - 4GB RAM - WIndows xp64 SP2

Revit version:
RAC2009 build 20081118_1045(x64)

Default Folders:
C:\Temp

I don't think it's the server 'going out' because all other programs can easily access the network and other's aren't having this problem in Revit.

Thanks

dhurtubise
2009-09-16, 05:10 PM
Definitely a network issue.
It might be related to network access permission, to a missing entry in the host file, or a number of issues.

patricks
2009-09-17, 02:36 AM
I have had a similar problem when our FTP server computer was turned off. While this isn't the default location, I do have it as a place in the vertical bar on the left side of any file dialog boxes. Because of that, it would take like 5 minutes just to bring up the dialog box. Once the FTP computer came back online, it was fine.

BDR_Architect
2009-09-28, 09:03 PM
I appologize for the poor title.

In Revit (and only in Revit) when I click to open a file, load a family, save as, anything that brings up a dialog that allows me to search directories, it freezes. It freezes just by hovering the mouse over the Look In dropdown. It also freezes when I hoover over cancel in the same dialog box. Again, I don't have to actually click, hovering over the button and drop-down causes the freeze.

I have checked whether this happens in other programs (it doesn't), did a fresh install, and had an administrator run as well. All still freeze.

To explain the Look In, it is the name in Revit to the right of the drop-down menu that allows you to navigate to other drives and directories to load or save content.

Ant help appreciated, thanks.

We are experiencing this exact same issue. Thank goodness I'm not crazy!.. well, I still am but... I have Autodesk support working on this and they can't figure it out. It's NOT a network issue. Revit has been working on this persons computer forever just fine. And if you log on as another user, it works fine. It has something to do with their profile.

I will post the solution if we figure it out.

BDR_Architect
2009-09-28, 09:24 PM
I just realized that you said it still froze when you ran as administrator. It didn't when we ran as administrator. So, maybe not exactly the same thing. But it does crash every time you go to create a new family or open a file or family and hit the 'Look In:' drop-down. Or if you just wait a few seconds, it'll crash anyway. Also, if you hit 'Cancel', it will crash.

In any regard, I'll post the solution when we figure it out in case if fixes your situation.

DiazA
2010-04-27, 08:05 PM
I know this post is several months old but I would like to provide a solution that worked for me. It involve modifying the Windows registry so be careful and backup your registry before applying the fix. Contact your CAD/IT administrator to do it for you.
In my case anything involving the Open/Save/Save As dialog box was freezing up just Revit MEP. I have Revit Architecture and Structure installed and they were OK. Also Revit MEP was OK under a different user account. So the problem was related to an user account.
To fix the problem I logged in as the affected user and I deleted the windows registry key: HKCU\Software\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit MEP 2010 and these two directories:
%userprofile%\Application Data\Autodesk\REVSYP
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit MEP 2010

Note: the directories and registry keys for Revit Architecture and Structure are different than the one here but you can get the idea.

goodtastingsteak
2010-05-22, 04:22 AM
Has anyone else found a sure fix for this problem?

This recently started happening to me, as well. I thought it was from a virus but the problem was still there after I cleaned the system.

However, I will add that things are somewhat faster after having removed the "Places" that were no longer on our network.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-05-22, 05:18 PM
This is going to sound crazy but check if Bonjour (iTunes related software) is installed. If so uninstall it. We found this totally by accident because a few people started having this issue. Purely by accident I noticed that somebosy had iTunes running and I asked how long they have it. Answer: just a couple days. I asked how long they were having this issue. Answer: just a couple days. First I thought it was iTunes but then I started checking what was installed with the iTunes installation and found Bonjour. Uninstalled it just to see what would happen and the browsing problem disappeared. I'm still baffled but it has worked on nine machines so far in our office so I'd say its worth a shot.