PDA

View Full Version : Framing

mmodernc
2004-11-11, 09:55 PM
Does anyone know how to get plumb cuts on the end of rafters with the framing tools apart from rafter tails. The framing systems function in Revit 7 is a big step toward auto framing, which is often better being semi-auto anyway because you can spend a lot of time fixing the auto-errors. The framing system function allows you to cut holes in it for windows, skylites etc.

beegee
2004-11-11, 10:03 PM
Have you tried using an in-place void to cut the rafters ?

mmodernc
2004-11-12, 08:23 AM
Thanks
But I get an error message about structural elements and inplace voids.
How do you use rafter tails anyway?
Are they anything like lobster tails?

mmodernc
2004-11-12, 08:36 AM
You cannot seem to make a beam system apply to a vertical surface but you can apply it to a work plane at an angle of 89.99999999 degrees to the horizontal which reads off as 90 degrees when you dimension it. Pity framing does not seem to be coordinated with wall and doors window openings etc. like you can do with two walls within 170mm of each other-where did I see that?

mmodernc
2004-11-15, 09:37 PM
Framing elements do not seem to respect section parameters. i.e. they extend beyond the cut plane when cut at an angle. I think that Revit is not yet a domestic framing program and has a way to go to be a structural program.

ariasdelcid
2004-11-16, 06:47 AM
I think that will be solved when the FULL structural module rolls out. Maybe in Revit 8?

PeterJ
2004-11-16, 10:02 AM
I think that Revit is not yet a domestic framing program and has a way to go to be a structural program.
It's acknowledged that Revit is not a fully fledged structural program as it has no native analysis tools (and probably won't get them, I think) and no pipeline out to an analysis package.

I don't think the Revit work method makes it a framing program, but there are people here using it to do that. I think that if you search here you will find some suggestions on how to produce framing details but bear in mind that that is just one part of one (or a small number) of geographical market(s) and Revit is looking to cater as best as possible to all aspects of all markets.